priceline in NO Whyndham Whitney

Kokomos

Just won this with 45.00 bid plus tax and fees total was 59.50 for March 11, 09

Whyndhan Whitney 3 1/2 star

downtown -covention center

610 poydras street

Just thought Id post incase anyone is looking for the same time frame. Looks like a pretty good deal the parking is 28.00 a night.

Anyone stayed here?

Thanks

Wanda

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Priceline can be big $$$ saver. Just booked for next weekend. Priceline awarded JW Marriott (4 star) on Canal St in NOLA for 52.00 a night. Parking is 32.00. The Marriott website has this hotel for these dates at 169.00 a night plus the 32.00 parking.

• 1 month later...

We were booked in advance of our arrival in New Orleans to stay at JW Marriott on Canal Street on 2/14 on the night before our cruise. This is a 4star hotel with good recommendations online as I regularly research hotels, restaurants, etc before we leave home.

I had paid and confirmed twice by phoning the front desk during the week to let them know that we would arrive late (approximately midnight). When we arrived at the airport there was a "skeleton crew" working because, we were told, most employees had not shown up to work. We waited a long time for our bags and at 12 a.m. I called the hotel to confirm that we would be leaving the airport shortly. I was very nervous because it was our first trip to New Orleans and we had concerns about our safety there. I was also concerned because it was late at night, we'd been travelling all day, and we just wanted a good nights sleep in a safe section of town at a brand name hotel.

The woman who answered the front desk when I called at midnight said "Actually you won't be staying here tonight. We're overbooked." I thought she must be mistaken. She didn't realize I had already booked a room AND paid for it by credit card weeks before. I replied "Oh, I've confirmed and paid for a room. I'm already booked." She said "No Ma'am, we're overbooked. We have no room for you." I told her "But I confirmed my room already. You gave away my room?" She replied "Ma'am, we're overbooked. There are few rooms left in the city. If you take a cab here we can give you a voucher for another hotel and you can walk there. It's not far from here." Walk in a strange area of New Orleans with luggage after travelling 14 hours? At 1 am? To a hotel I know NOTHING about??? Really? I cancelled and requested a refund. As of 2/26 this refund had not been processed. Priceline intervened and refunded my money in full after a dispute was filed.

It has been 2 months since our trip. Since then, Marriott had the administrative assistant to the general manager of the JW Marriott in New rRleans contact us by phone to explain the policy. We weren't available by phone to discuss the policies due to our busy lives. However, after several emails back and forth, the resolution Marriott has offered us is that they reserve the right, per their policy, to rebook your reservation to another hotel with whom they have a relationship. That is IT!

It doesn't matter if you've paid. It doesn't matter that you called to confirm twice. You could arrive in a city that is new to you and be told at check in that you are being given a voucher and must relocate to a new hotel. No refund. Nothing complimentary. Not even the cab ride over to the new hotel was offered. Remember that we were advised by check in that it was just a short walk at 1 am with our luggage after 14 hours of travel.

Due to this official corporate policy, per the corporate office to my inbox, I would never again recommend Marriott to anyone. While corporate assures me that this is a "rare" occurrence, it seems to me that once is more than we could stomach. If we were just going to take our chances finding any old hotel room when we arrived in town, we certainly wouldn't pre pay and pre schedule a room with them!

You could arrive in a city that is new to you and be told at check in that you are being given a voucher and must relocate to a new hotel. No refund. Nothing complimentary. Not even the cab ride over to the new hotel was offered. Remember that we were advised by check in that it was just a short walk at 1 am with our luggage after 14 hours of travel.

What do you mean no refund? What hotel did they move you to?

I don't blame you for being upset, but I would be pissed off more at Priceline than the Marriott.

Many years ago I worked with Airline Agents on how to accomadate overbooked passengers. And the #1 rule was look at PRICELINE & HOTWIRE fares first. They do not have a contract with the airline, they have a contract with Priceline. And part of Priceline's contract is that their sales can be DENIED BOARDING & reaccomidated per the airlines standard procedures. So in essence, you are targeted first because of this. I stood there with agents & explained to the passengers that their RIGHTS & CONTRACT was with Priceline & they had to contact them for explanation & resolution other than here is a voucher for standard compensation & here is when you are going.

Because of these rules, I always advise people to either go thru directly with the Airline, Hotel etc. Or use a reputable travel agent who will help you without additional expense (Very RARE now a days)

When you book DIRECT, you are that companies customer. They must deal with you. If you were to litigate with Marriot over this, they would tell you to deal with Priceline (GOOD F***ing LUCK)

Also be careful of Hotels claiming they are just a franchise of Marriots or such. They think this can save them. Dont let them try & bully you, you make sure you stand up toe to toe with them. Usually you will win.

I can't imagine the frustration of finding out at midnight that a paid for room in a strange city was not going to be available.

But as others have pointed out your beef is with Priceline, not Marriott.

Since you cancelled, where did you end up staying? We've stayed at several hotels on Canal (including the JW). There are a lot of nice properties. They may have been moving you across the street to another Marriott property.

Hope the cruise went well.

Charlie

Archived