Catamarans

NorthernOntario

My husband and I love snorkeling. Unfortunately, he is having surgery on his shoulder before our cruise and it may not be healed in time. My question is, we would like to go on a couple of Catamaran tours in Barbados, St.Lucia, St.Maarten and possibly St.Thomas. We are both worried that he will not be strong enough to haul himself up into the boats (even with the use of one arm, being 6'5" he isn't the tiniest of fellows). We have never even been on a catamaran so we have no idea how to get in and out of the boats!

Does anyone have more information, or experience, with doing these tours and how you can get on and off easily? I know it will be best to pick the tours and then contact them directly to see what their set up is on the boat but I thought I would ask around first to get some options and to hear about everyone's experiences.

Thank you so much for the help!

My husband and I love snorkeling. Unfortunately, he is having surgery on his shoulder before our cruise and it may not be healed in time. My question is, we would like to go on a couple of Catamaran tours in Barbados, St.Lucia, St.Maarten and possibly St.Thomas. We are both worried that he will not be strong enough to haul himself up into the boats (even with the use of one arm, being 6'5" he isn't the tiniest of fellows). We have never even been on a catamaran so we have no idea how to get in and out of the boats!

Does anyone have more information, or experience, with doing these tours and how you can get on and off easily? I know it will be best to pick the tours and then contact them directly to see what their set up is on the boat but I thought I would ask around first to get some options and to hear about everyone's experiences.

Thank you so much for the help!

I am not an expert, but the catamaran I was on in Barbados had a ladder without a railing to hold on to. I am older and used the tour personal to help.

St Thomas was the same. I would contact the tour company you are interested in and ask their opinion. You will have flotation on so floating in the water won't be a problem. If he is healed enough the excursion will be good exercise. I snorkeled in St Lucia but from the beach. My catamaran tour in St Martin was canceled due to weather.

Dave

I am not an expert, but the catamaran I was on in Barbados had a ladder without a railing to hold on to. I am older and used the tour personal to help.

St Thomas was the same. I would contact the tour company you are interested in and ask their opinion. You will have flotation on so floating in the water won't be a problem. If he is healed enough the excursion will be good exercise. I snorkeled in St Lucia but from the beach. My catamaran tour in St Martin was canceled due to weather.

Dave

Thank you Dave!

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would go with a tour that has a larger boat, like the photos that were just posted above for Calablaza. I was with Shasa last week, and they have a smaller boat - one that does not have those steps at the end. To get back on after snorkeling, we had to climb a ladder straight up the side of the boat. I didn't think it was particularly difficult, but it did require a bit of a heave and there is no way it could be done with only one good arm!

Thank you for the pictures mpace58!

I think I am going to have to hold off on booking anything. I think with one arm, possible in a sling, it would be much too difficult. I am a planner and like to get things organized. I was hoping to book things, but not knowing when his surgery is yet, not knowing recovery time, its too hard to make any sort of decisions. But the pictures give a much better idea of what the ladders could be like. I will have to possibly contact each company individually to see pictures like that.

Thank you for everyones help.