Did You Wear Gore Tex Shoes??

QueenYaYah

Just Wanted To Know If Any Past (or Upcoming) Alaska Cruisers Wore (will Wear) Gore Tex Shoes And If So Do They Consider Them A Must On The Cruise?

And, If You Didn't Wear Them In The Past Would You Take Them Now?

I Have A Very Small FOOT (I WEAR A SIZE 5 WOMEN'S) So I'll Have To Order Them And Not Normally The Look That I Go For - So If I Can Get By Without Them I Can Save $100 Or More.

Thanks For All Your Help!

Elisha

I think it would depend on what you are going to do.

We only walked around Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan and didn't need anything but tennis shoes. Even when it was drizzling in Skagway we didn't get that wet.

We are also going to Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. We leave out of Vancouver and will be there (2) days (before and after cruise). We are going to take the helicopter/glacier walk in Juneau; the train in Skagway and walk around town the rest of the time; and the Zip line in Ketchikan.

I need new tennis shoes, but normally buy plain jane white or something close. Should I buy the gore tex (looking at the montrail hiking/running shoe in blue/gray and black). The montrail is something that I would only wear with jeans, looks kinda funny with shorts to me.

Thanks again!

Elisha

We are also going to Juneau, Skagway and Ketechan. We leave out of Vancouver and will be there (2) days (before and after cruise). We are going to take the helicopter/glacier walk in Juneau; the train in Skagway and walk around town the rest of the time; and the Zip line in Ketchecan.

I need new tennis shoes, but normally buy plain jane white or something close. Should I buy the gore tex (looking at the montrail hiking/running shoe in blue/gray and black). The montrail is something that I would only wear with jeans, looks kinda funny with shorts to me.

Thanks again!

Elisha

The montrail is something that I would only wear with jeans, looks kinda funny with shorts to me.

Nah, you just need to get into Pacific Northwest fashion! Hiking boots with shorts, sandals with socks...It's all good!

Go to a camping/outdoor store and buy waterproofing to spray on your shoes. $5. You can spray backpacks, camera bags. Whatever. You might consider some lightweight pants to keep your legs dry, not expensive. Put them on over your clothes.

What cruiseline are going with? I would imagine that for the Helicopter/glacier walk that they would provide the proper footwear for walking on the glacier.

I've seen pictures of the ziplines and have only noticed people in athletic shoes. But I guess it would depend on how far you have to trek to get to the ziplines.

As for just walking around town, tennis/athletic shoes would be okay as they all have good streets or sidewalks. The exception might be Skagway as there streets looked like they could get muddy in some spots but they had plenty of boardwalks.

Valerie, we are sailing with HAL on the Zuiderdam June 17th. And yes, according to info. glacier boots will be provided with the helicopter tour. The Montrail's that I'm looking at look like colored tennis shoes, my daughter wears the same style everywhere. She hiked all over France, Italy and Switzerland a couple of years ago and LOVED them. Guess I'll go ahead and order them, doesn't seem like it will make a big difference either way. I'm just thrilled that I get to spend my 25th Wedding Anniversary in Alaska!

Have a great day and thanks for all the help!

Elisha

Momeason, thanks for the suggestions. A little waterproofing couldn't hurt. And a pair of windproof pants shouldn't take up much room in the suitcase. I'm soooo ready to leave for Alaska.

Thanks for the info.

Elisha

Elisha,

You can never go wrong with ordering new shoes! Have a great trip and a wonderful anniversary.

Living most of my life in Seattle I never thought I'd do an Alaska cruise as I much more prefer getting to the sunshine and warmer weather but my sister and I finally went in 2004 and it was nice. You'll like Alaska and all the ports.

Enjoy!

Well, I was just going to read and be mused by someone with the problem of small feet, but the part about Skagway and the mud just begs comment!?!

Firstly, they have paved everything in sight, here in Skagway, even some of the alleys!?! We stll retain boardwalks, downtown, as a historical note only, for back when Broadway wasn't paved!

Secondly, most of the trails within short hikes of town are what even our English cousins would call "groomed"!

And lastly, even though an unsolicited fashion policeman roundly chastised me of late on this very forum for my misunderstood humor concerning hiking some of our higher trails with inadequate footgear, I must say that even this little tempest elicited some sympathy from a shoemaker who promptly sent me a nice surprise in the form of a pair of size 18 hiking boots to try out on some of our more challenging trails!?!

Thanks to all who participate here! DD

I wouldn't even consider going to Alaska without Gore Tex hiking boots. If I spent a lot of my time near around tidewater or marshes, I'd opt for high rubber boots. For a cruise, though, Gore Tex gets the nod every time. Even on the ship, I spend 90% of my time out on the decks, watching for photo ops. It rains, and boots/shoes get wet. Gore Tex for me, thanks.

:o I bought some extremely ugly(read camoflauge) waterproof hiking boots at Wal-mart for my trip. I found them in the little boys section(the biggest size)they fit perfectly, and since it's spring they were on clearance for $5.

DH is embarrased, but oh well.

Archived