Haifa and Ashdod shopping

I don't think there's too much typical cruise-passenger type of shopping within walking distance of the Haifa cruise ship terminal, but there are retail shops in the area.

They are trying to restore and rejuvenate the area that is to the left when you are leaving the port, after you walk over the bridge. You might find some interesting stores there. For example, here: http://www.sohobanamal.co.il/the_page2.asp?page_lang=en&page_id=95. Unfortunately, when I tried to open that link, it looks like the site had been hacked. Maybe try an email to oferb@darban.co.il.

However, at least some of those places might close early Friday afternoon and on Saturday (the Jewish Sabbath) and on Israeli holidays.

Also within what I would call a reasonable walking distance of the Haifa cruise ship terminal is the German Colony, at the bottom of the Baha'i Gardens. Most places - restaurants, cafes, shops, and so on - in the German Colony will likely not be affected by the Jewish Sabbath or Israeli holidays.

I don't know that much about the Ashdod cruise ship terminal, but my guess is that there isn't any shopping there or nearby. I believe it is primarily a commercial shipping port. Cruise ships dock there because it is the port closest to Jerusalem.

The map of the area on the port's website (in Hebrew) shows no retail shops, although http://www.whatsinport.com/Ashdod.htm mentions a state-of-the-art cruise ship terminal with duty-free shops.

On the corner of the main street of the German Colony is a building with a small shopping center (mall). It's open every day of the week, including Saturdays.

In Ashdod there is a free shuttle bus to a local shopping center (mall). The shops there are open Sunday-Friday and closed on Saturdays.

On the corner of the main street of the German Colony is a building with a small shopping center (mall). It's open every day of the week, including Saturdays.

In Ashdod there is a free shuttle bus to a local shopping center (mall). The shops there are open Sunday-Friday and closed on Saturdays.

Great info, hlperez.

Allow me to add that if the shops are closed on Saturdays, it likely means they are also closed on Jewish holidays (and close early on the eve of Jewish holidays, as they also do on Fridays/Sabbath eve). Also, keep in mind that the dates and lengths of some Jewish holidays can be slightly different in Israel than outside Israel. Passover and Sukkot are each one day in Israel, but two days outside Israel; also, there's a second Passover holiday, which is one day in Israel, on which those shops will likely be closed.