Water levels on Rhine and Moselle Rivers

noraloui

I am leaving Wednesday for a Rhine and Moselle River cruise from Basel to Amsterdam. To date, I can't find too much info with regard to flooding. Tour company says they are following situation.

I am leaving Wednesday for a Rhine and Moselle River cruise from Basel to Amsterdam. To date, I can't find too much info with regard to flooding. Tour company says they are following situation.

Before I got on the airplane to travel to Europe for a river cruise the next couple of weeks - I would make sure that the cruise will indeed take place. From what the newspapers and this board say about the rivers - they all appear to be out of their banks. So sad :(

B. Cole

The Rhine between Basel and Kembs lock is closed for traffic. Further downstream are waterlevels high but ok. Dropped a bit after german and french authorities flooded meadows on purpose in order to lower the levels. Slightly rising again, expected to fall tomorrow (if there is no further rain).

The high water problem is east, in the basins of Danube, Main (Rhine tributary) and Elbe now. The Moselle is ok, so is the Saar river.

I was on a river cruise of the Danube last year, planning another for next year.

I just wanted to thank those of you in the actual vicinity who are posting such frequent updates. While I personally am not effected this year, I think it is incredible kind to keep people on cruise critic informed.

It is heartbreaking to see the beautiful sites we enjoyed so much last year.

I wish the wonderful people of this area the best.

Mary

Archived