Celebrity Exursion to see blue Iguans and botanical gardens

sarleo

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I live on island and have been to the Botanic Park on my own, not as part of a ship's tour.

The Botanic Park is located in sort of the middle of the eastern end of the island, about 30-35 minute drive from the port. The Blue Iguana Recovery Program is located at the Botanic Park. Access is best by rental car or organized tour. The public bus stops on Frank Sound Rd, about a half mile from the park entrance. Bus service is irregular to that part of the island.

The park has a woodland walking trail about a mile in length. If you have time to do the entire trail you will probably come upon some of the juvenile critically endangered blue iguanas that have been set loose in the park. They like to find a spot of sunshine and soak up some rays to warm up. The trail also has some signs posted pointing out some of the more typical flora that are representative of the tropical Caribbean.

If time is short then the main part of the iguana recovery program is a short walk to the left from where you enter. There you will see some of the older adult blues which grow to about four feet long. Doubling back and going to the right from the main entrance leads to an exemplar old Caymanian style home you can check out. A short walk beyond that is the flower gardens which border a small lake. For those wanting to maximize their viewing of tropical gardens this is the place to spend your time.

I've driven past the White House which is where I believe they do the colonial mansion stop. It is much closer to town than the Botanic Park, almost directly opposite the police station in Bodden Town. Can't say much more about it than the location though. We've heard few reports back from those who have stopped there on a cruise excursion.