Blue hole park / cave swimming

CanadaJulie

I am really interested in doing this however, there is not a lot of info out there that is recent.

I have a general idea of how to get there but it appears to be mostly unmarked paths going off to caves, the blue hole, jungles...

I am really interested in swimming in the cave. We have a group of 11 people ranging from 14-70 (in fact, the cruise is to celebrate my dad's bday, who is turning 70). As I am the planner of all this, I don't feel comfortable just trekking them all into the woods and hope to find what I'm looking for. Follow me guys !

I know Hidden Gems offers this tour but at 175$/pp that's really steep for us. Almost 2000$ for a day tour for our group. I'm up for trying to figure it out myself - with your help !

Has anyone here visited Blue Hole recently and can give me more info ? Does anyone have a map or directions to get to the cave swimming ? If there lots of climbing involved ? (mom has a bum knee). I assume you can still swim in the caves but maybe not ? Any thing to help is appreciated !!

TIA

Julie (aka: family vacation planner)

Yeah, I read all those. Problem is these sites are maintained by people who gather info from the Internet and have not necessarily been there. Case in point, the website mentioned above is owned by Raj who lives in India.

I was hoping for info from someone who has been there and can give me answers to my questions and first hand info.

We hiked the trails this past May. The main trail is very level and easy to walk on. My DD walked the trails for 3 hours in dressy sandals. There are side trails that take you to amazing places and the side trails can be just a little trickier, not steep, but rocks and ruts. I had knee surgery in January and had no problems. I do not know if there are any maps. I never found one.

The trail with the that cave you can swim in is one that we missed one our way into the jungle, but found on our way back. The trail to that cave was the hardest trail we encountered with a small uphill climb. We would have missed the cave if we had not ran into workers clearing the trail who pointed it out to us.

If you find the cave be warned that the rocks were covered in mud, so water shoes might be a good idea. DD dropped her sunglasses into the water and had to kneel on the rocks to pick them up and her hand and knees were covered in mud, luckily I never travel without wet wipes. It was an awesome cave and I have pictures of it in my review.

If you go take Cheerios to feed the fish in the pond as they come up looking for them and lots of water to drink. We did not take enough drinks and were struggling at the end of the hike.

We entered the jungle at the entrance by the causeway. We took a bus from St. George's, got off at the first stop after the causeway, went to the gas station to buy drinks, then entered the jungle. We all agreed it was the best day in Bermuda.

OMG !! That is EXACTLY the info I was looking for ! Thank you so much for posting !

OK - quick question then: if the trail to the swimming caves is easy to miss (and I'll be really disappointed if I don't find them), can you tell me where to look ? Which side of the main trail was it on ? About how far down ? Any landmarks ? "3rd trail on the right after the big tree" ??

Did you swim in the cave ?

I wish I could help you, but my memory is not that good. I remember us seeing a trail and saying that we missed it before, but I cannot remember where it was. I know it was off a trail we had already taken and it went inland not toward the bay. Sorry. If either of my travel companions remember more I will post again.

This area was once used for Dolphin shows, and if I recall correctly--and we are going back decades here, from the main path you would be heading right. As you leave the main road, (not the main path, but the main road) the harbor will be on your left, and the cave swimming etc would be further in to your right/ You inspired me--I am going to head there on my visit next week!

/ You inspired me--I am going to head there on my visit next week!

Ah HA ! A recon mission !! I'd love if you come back after your trip and give me some directions to help me get my family to the swimming caves !

I am the planner and everyone just follows me. If I get lost, they all get lost.

My son has a better memory than I have. If you take the main trail there are side trails on the right. The one side trail brought us to this blue lagoon with the fish that wanted to be fed.

IMG_0720_zpsngdlg64t.jpg

The first time we stopped we took the trail back to the main trail, but the second time we saw another trail that led the other way and that is the one that took us to this cave.

IMG_0765_zpsu3d9tav3.jpg

The trail for this cave was also on the right. We almost missed it because we saw the workers up ahead clearing the trail and had walked right past it because we were looking at the workers. Just keep looking for trails and you will see it. It is not real big, but it would have been cool to say that we swam in a cave in Bermuda.

• 3 months later...

The cave I found that you could swim in had no steps into the water, so be careful, it might be hard to get out of the water. We didn't end up swimming in the cave because we didn't see any way to get back out of the water. I wish I had found the one with the steps! Also, I started the trails from the Tom Moore tavern side and ended at the causeway, got drinks at the gas station and had ice cream at the ice cream parlor near the bus stop while we waited for the bus. Great ice cream!! I wish I had started on this end, because it was difficult to find the entrance from the tavern side.