catamaran and snorkel excursion

snc_cam

A couple visits ago we did an excursion on the Tranquilo. You need to take a taxi to get to the dock where you will be taken out to the boat. It was a pretty good trip overall, not the best we've had on many similar excursions (privately booked) off various islands in the Caribbean but not bad. I believe the cost was about $90 per person (plus tip) and we went to two areas for snorkeling, which was pretty good, not great. The price may have changed since then. Decent lunch and drinks provided. The captain and crew were not exactly grumpy but certainly not as outgoing as we've found on other sailing/snorkeling excursions. Tranquilo is a mono-hull, not a catamaran so there are not as many places on deck to sit comfortably but I think they limit the number of people on board. Overall, I would give the experience 7/10. FWIW.... others may have other opinions. Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Aruba last week and a group of us from CC booked the Tranquilla. It is a 40+-year-old very seaworthy sailboat, pretty basic, nothing fancy. We were taken to the southern end of the island for snorkel which was excellent. One of our group took a video of an endless school of blue tang! No one except our group were at this site. The lunch provided included a tasty homemade soup and a variety of sandwiches on delicious rolls. Drinks were provided including rum punch. The minimum required to book is 10 people, the maximum 16. I think 16 would be too crowded. The cost was $75 pp. It was a very hot day in Aruba and we were very happy to be on the water. We walked from the ship through town to the sailboat dock, about 20 minutes. I would definitely do this again.