Skagway Excursion: Eagle Preserve Rafting Wildlife Quest

gizvic

We are booking excursions for next summer's cruise on the Millennium, and are looking at the Eagle Preserve Rafting Wildlife Quest in Skagway. There is a cautionary statement about neck and back problems. It notes that there is no white water, so we are trying to figure out what the potential concern might be. My husband makes decisions based on his understanding of the specific elements that are likely to bother him. I am hoping that someone who has been on this excursion might be able to describe the experience and help us understand better what it entails. Thank you!

The description is as follows:

Experience world-class scenery and unforgettable excitement on your rafting adventure in the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve. Begin your quest aboard a sleek catamaran as you head to the historic Fort Seward. Enjoy the stunning landscape along the way, replete with cascading waterfalls and unique wildlife. A picturesque drive up the historic Haines Highway brings you to the Preserve, where you can observe dozens of eagles while rafting down the peaceful river.

Highlights:

• Raft through the Alaska Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve, home to the largest concentration of eagles.
  • Explore the spectacular Lynn Fjord by boat, North America's deepest Fjord.
  • Look for native wildlife on your journey, including eagles, whales, bears, moose, and more.

Important notes:

• Guests must be able to walk over loose gravel and dry river-delta.
  • Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
  • Pregnant women and guest with back/neck problems should not select this tour.
  • This trip has no white-water.
  • Guests with concerns should consult their personal physician.

I went on this tour several years ago. I must say it is still the best excursion in three Alaska cruises. We literally say Eagles taking Salmon out of the river within 50 feet of our raft.

At least when I went, there were no real physical concerns. A couple of quicker turns and a little jerking maybe as the guide poled away from rocks, but nothing excessive.

Greg

I went on this tour several years ago. I must say it is still the best excursion in three Alaska cruises. We literally say Eagles taking Salmon out of the river within 50 feet of our raft.

At least when I went, there were no real physical concerns. A couple of quicker turns and a little jerking maybe as the guide poled away from rocks, but nothing excessive.

Greg

Thank you, Greg!