Bring liquor and wine into Tahiti

Sorry if this question has been addressed but after doing a search not much turned up so I am asking for help. We will be staying pre-cruise at the Hilton on Moorea for 3 nights and thought it would be a good idea to bring some wine from home to enjoy while sitting in our OWB. I have googled bringing wine and liquor into Tahiti and have found confusing answers from 2011 stating that the limit was being increased from 2lt to 4lt. Nothing after 2011 turned up during my search. Any current information would be appreciated.

Again thanks for your help.

Shirley:confused:

This is accurate .......

200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos or 50 cigars; 50 grams of perfume; 500 grams of coffee; 100 grams of tea; 2 liters of alcohol.

Once again thank you for your continued help with questions about Tahiti and surrounding areas of the South Pacific. Not sure why some of the areas that I googled mentioned that tahiti had increased the alcohol and wine to 4 liters from 2.

The other thing that was mentioned by several people was that it was highly unlikely that they would search your luggage to ensure that you only had the approved amount. Usally when we cruise outside of the Caribbean or Mexico we purchase wine at the departure port. From most of what I have read the selections of wine in Papeete is limited to mostly French wines and very pricey. We love Australian & NZ and of course California wines but think it will be doubtful that we will find many from those countries.

Shirley

At the larger markets like the one east of the IC Tahiti they have about everything you could want. NZ & Aussie wine is comparable to the French wines in price for comparable quality.

In my 20 years/trips to FP I've never had my stuff checked ........

At the larger markets like the one east of the IC Tahiti they have about everything you could want. NZ & Aussie wine is comparable to the French wines in price for comparable quality.

In my 20 years/trips to FP I've never had my stuff checked ........

Good to know! :D :D :D :D

FYI .................

They don't like letting California wine in.

I always bring a few bottles as I'm from the Paso Robles area .......... I give it to a local who did something extra ......... it's like gold over there.

Give away wine from Paso Robles are you crazy? We love wines from your region. Not many wines from California wine country that we don't enjoy, well maybe those from a city down south starting with a T.even though we enjoying visiting that area.

Shirley

I graduated from PR high ............. family started a winery there years ago ............ nice to have trading rights with the other wineries, allows for cheap but good wine :)

Years ago I had put together a trade deal for a café on Bora Bora that a friend of mine owned. You would bring over 2 bottles of decent California wine in exchange for a nice dinner with all the trimmings for 2 people. That is how we kept him stocked with coveted California wine, he had a good selection for Bora Bora. He passed away a few years ago at a very young age, in his 40's. I have many memories of enjoying his families motu for BBQ's and to snorkel ............. all at the nice price of nothin' .......... well we would always bring them something from the states, clothes for their kids, digital camera ....... etc.

I graduated from PR high ............. family started a winery there years ago ............ nice to have trading rights with the other wineries, allows for cheap but good wine :)

Years ago I had put together a trade deal for a café on Bora Bora that a friend of mine owned. You would bring over 2 bottles of decent California wine in exchange for a nice dinner with all the trimmings for 2 people. That is how we kept him stocked with coveted California wine, he had a good selection for Bora Bora. He passed away a few years ago at a very young age, in his 40's. I have many memories of enjoying his families motu for BBQ's and to snorkel ............. all at the nice price of nothin' .......... well we would always bring them something from the states, clothes for their kids, digital camera ....... etc.

Sounds like wonderful memories. Making friends during our travels is always special to us as I see it is to you.

Thank you for sharing these experiences with all of us here on CC.

Shirley

• 1 month later...

I have never been to Tahiti and am planning on going on a cruise in the spring of 2015, followed by a stay on Rangoria. Knowing that food and drink in the resorts is so expensive my wife wondered if we should bring some wine and/or spirits. From what you are saying this is OK but with some limits. The question I have is - should I bring it with me (to save costs) or is there somewhere on Tahiti that I can purchase the alcohol where the prices are not too expensive? For example, would a bottle of Vodka be significantly more expensive in Tahiti than in Canada or the USA?

I have never been to Tahiti and am planning on going on a cruise in the spring of 2015, followed by a stay on Rangoria. Knowing that food and drink in the resorts is so expensive my wife wondered if we should bring some wine and/or spirits. From what you are saying this is OK but with some limits. The question I have is - should I bring it with me (to save costs) or is there somewhere on Tahiti that I can purchase the alcohol where the prices are not too expensive? For example, would a bottle of Vodka be significantly more expensive in Tahiti than in Canada or the USA?

Figure the price to be double, maybe even a bit more, even at the better priced places in FP.

I always bring hard stuff and then mix with local fresh fruit juices ........

Edited by Tikiintahiti

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back--selection at Carrefour and duty free at PPT was 50% French, 25% NZ, and 25% everything else. The prices on the French reds and whites were pretty reasonable, Champagne was outrageous. Prices on the other wines both old and new world were pretty steep. I bought an '06 Lynch-Bages for about $85 at Carrefour that we had for dinner with some bread and cheese. Before we left PPT we bought a respectable CDP at Duty Free for $45 or so.

I just got back--selection at Carrefour and duty free at PPT was 50% French, 25% NZ, and 25% everything else. The prices on the French reds and whites were pretty reasonable, Champagne was outrageous. Prices on the other wines both old and new world were pretty steep. I bought an '06 Lynch-Bages for about $85 at Carrefour that we had for dinner with some bread and cheese. Before we left PPT we bought a respectable CDP at Duty Free for $45 or so.

Thanks for the heads up on the pricing. As you can see we are from California and spend a few weeks each year in the wine country both central coast and Napa area. We have a few memberships in wine clubs from both of these areas so our wine collection includes many wines that are almost impossible to buy outside of the US. Because of this many times we travel with a case of wine to be used during our cruise or pre-cruise time. We have found that when traveling to Europe with some research we can sometimes find an upscale wine shop there and buy local wines for the cruise. Tahiti doesn't seem like buying wines after we arrive will make much since due to the price and possible selection. I know there are some limitations as to how much liquor you can take into Tahiti so not sure what is the best way to handle our wine needs.

We will be sailing on Windstar which allows you to bring wine aboard, but we may find it's better to just purchase wines from their menu which last year in the Caribbean on the Windsurf we found very acceptable and priced well.

All suggestions are always welcomed.

Shirley

If you're going to want Champagne, that's what I'd bring along.

When I was on the Surf (albeit different ship and two years ago) the markup ranged in the 115-175% range, not terrible. The selection was wines that I enjoy and/or will drink, but nothing to get excited over. Far Niente, Cakebread, Silver Oak, Montelena, Caymus, Mondavi, Grgich Hills, the usual suspects.

Maybe pick up a couple bottles when you arrive at PPT from duty free as well? (I don't recall if it was open when we got there, we were bleary eyed.)

If you're going to want Champagne, that's what I'd bring along.

When I was on the Surf (albeit different ship and two years ago) the markup ranged in the 115-175% range, not terrible. The selection was wines that I enjoy and/or will drink, but nothing to get excited over. Far Niente, Cakebread, Silver Oak, Montelena, Caymus, Mondavi, Grgich Hills, the usual suspects.

Maybe pick up a couple bottles when you arrive at PPT from duty free as well? (I don't recall if it was open when we got there, we were bleary eyed.)

Good suggestion about the champagne I'll put that on our packing list. So far on our cruises with maybe one exception that being Seabourn I haven't seen much of Silver Oak being poured or even Caymus either one of those would certainly meet with our approval. :D

I live in the Paso Robles area, my family owns a good part of a large winery.

I always bring a bottle of Central California wine with me as a gift to FP friends. There are extremely high tariffs on California wines into FP, just about makes it impossible for most to enjoy, thus it is a premium in FP. A solid $35 bottle of Paso Robles Merlot or Zinfandel will be 3 - 4 times that in FP.

However, the French Wines are plentiful and cost no more in FP than what we pay in California.

I always bring hard booze and buy fresh local juices for mixers. The bottle of wine is just for a gift for a friend in FP