Easter Island Tours

ronvoyage

One of the stops on our cruise was Easter Island. In preparation for our visit, I researched the private tour operators on TripAdvisor, Cruise Critic, and the web and decided that Green Island Tours offered the most complete tour at a reasonable rate. I contacted GIT and started an email conversation with the owner and tour guide, Marc Shields and asked him to propose an all day itineary. Immediately, Marc responded with a very inclusive tour of all of the major attractions that would allowed during our time in port.

Marc suggested that we visit; Ranu Kau (volcano), Orongo (ceremonial village) Ranu Raraku (quarry where all the Moai where made) Tongariki (15 Moai and largest platform on the island), Anakena Beach, and finally Tahai and I accepted his offer. We decided on a group of seven (although GTI will accommodate larger or smaller groups) for our day to explore the mysteries of this tiny island. Easter Island requires a "tender operation" from a cruise ship to the port that is depended on weather. It is estimated that about 10% of the cruise ships are not able to stop because of the weather. GIT requested a small deposit to reserve our tour and the process was seamless by using a "PayPal" link that was provided by GIT.

We arrived the town of Hanga Roa at 9:15am and departed by tender at 4:10pm. In addition to the GIT fee, it is necessary to purchase a ticket to visit all of the sacred areas of the National Parks which makes up nearly 50% of the island for $60USD per person. All of the Moai are located in the National Park, as is the beautiful Anakena Beach, so buying a Park Ticket an essential purchase to effectively see the sites on Easter Island.

We had the privilege to have Marc Shields, the owner of GIT, as our guide. He also had five additional guides that conducted customized tours for other passengers on our ship. Marc is fluent in English and Spanish (the Chilean version too) and has a vast knowledge of the history of Easter Island. Our group was impressed that Marc knew how to take us to the beautiful sites before other tours arrived. He suggested an excellent restaurant in the Town of Hanga Roa for lunch and helped me buy stamps at the local post office. His Spanish language skills helped us numerous times.

In summary, all passengers on cruise ships have the option of using the ship's tours, find a independent tour operator like GIT, or try to see the sites on their own. Based on the conversations we have had on our ship since the tour of Easter Island, our group has become the envy of the ship. We saw more than any other tour, at fraction of the ship's tour cost, in our nicely sized group of seven. One advantage of using a ship's tour is that the vessel will not leave until all of their tours are back on board. On a stop like Easter Island, it seems like using an Independent tour operator like GIT, is an excellent option because there is minimal risk you will be stuck in traffic. Ten stars to GIT for a superior day on Easter Island!

Sounds like a wonderful tour for one day on Easter Island.

We spent 4 nights there a year or so ago. It ranks up there with Machu Picchu as two of our most interesting trips. With the extra time we got to enjoy the sunrise behind the moai, some excellent restaurants and of course, those delicious Pisco Sours! I've heard the cruise ships don't always get in so you were lucky and got to see the very best of the island. We'd love to go back one day but it's a long trip. Maybe we'll be lucky and get a cruise that goes there one day. I'd certainly take your tour.

• 1 month later...

My husband and I were on the tour with Ron the OP and it was truly amazing. Marc was a wonderful host and a knowledgable and engaging tour guide. The whole day tour encompassed all we had hoped to see and more. The tour was an excellent value as well. We went back to the ship with a good understanding of the Rapa Nui people, both ancient and modern

Easter island was a bucket list destination for my husband and I. We were very excited to have made it there and experienced it so fully.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

Easter Island was on my Bucket List too. We found Marc Shields, Green Island Tours, on cruise critic and we are so grateful. Marc has a complete knowledge of the island and its history. He is from New Zealand and his wife is Rapa Nui so he speaks perfect English and really understands the island and its people. And he made the visit fun for us. We are so pleased that we had Marc as our tour director. Marc can be contacted at "greentoursrapanui@yahoo.cl".