Help choosing UK cruise

smm0218

marchie1053

"Stirling Castle and Edinburgh Castle are great places to visit, but, depending upon the time you have available, it might be a choice between St Andrews and the castles! "

If I understand correctly DH can't really see the Golf Course unless he plays and he says his game is so bad he doesn't want to try to play (which I'm sure is next to impossible anyway) and has decided he'll just skip St Andrews. Total time in Edinburgh is scheduled to be 12 hours but we have to tender so probably more like 8. I'm still investigating things we want to do but I really hate to see him give up visiting St. Andrews (if he could actually see it) so I can visit castles and shopping.

If you have a chance when you get home and could send me more info after you talk to Robbie that would be wonderful. Thank you.

Will do, smm. I remember Robbie telling me about an American customer who just wanted to be driven to St Andrews purely to buy a Golf Jumper - or as Robbie described it, 'He was so quick in the shop, I didnae have time for a smoke ...!' Would you be happy to visit Edinburgh Castle whilst your husband visited St Andrews and then meet up for a late lunch or similar? Something to think about - there's plenty of cafes/restaurants close to the Castle (and, if you like Ian Rankin Crime Novels, the streets and closes where Inspector Rebus stumbles over yet another (fictional) corpse - it's all very atmospheric! There are also tours of the Old Town and a plague street that was buried some 300 years ago! I don't know when you plan to reach Edinburgh - if you arrive during the 'Edinburgh Fringe/Festival' the town will be mobbed and you'll be hard-pressed to do proper sightseeing - staying on the footpath is the challenge! I know that Robbie suggests getting out of Edinburgh at those times so that you sight see instead of 'queue and push'! I am just the neighbour who hears the odd tale - Robbie is the man earns his living sorting out the best options, so I'll ask him to suggest the itinerary! Do please chase me up if I am a wee bit tardy or if you have any more thoughts or queries!

Now its easy to see the Old Course, as a lot of it is bordered by publicroads, and you can look over the fence, if he wants to walk the course he would probably have to play,if you look at www.standrews.com/play/courses/old-couse under the relax section it show tours of the old course..though whether the times would fit in im not sure

Now its easy to see the Old Course, as a lot of it is bordered by publicroads, and you can look over the fence, if he wants to walk the course he would probably have to play,if you look at www.standrews.com/play/courses/old-couse under the relax section it show tours of the old course..though whether the times would fit in im not sure

I bow to your expertise! Useful information for Sandi - thanks! As a non-golfing incomer who slipped across the M74 under cover of darkness, my background knowledge can always be strengthened!

That would be great. Can anyone tell me how long it would take to get from South Queensferry to St. Andrews? I'm sure Google maps could give me a number but someone that actually knows would be better. Ship arrives at 7, couple hours to get off. Tour is at 11am or 2pm, 2 pm would probably make me very tense. :)

That would be great. Can anyone tell me how long it would take to get from South Queensferry to St. Andrews? I'm sure Google maps could give me a number but someone that actually knows would be better. Ship arrives at 7, couple hours to get off. Tour is at 11am or 2pm, 2 pm would probably make me very tense. :)

Hi Sandi,

Bing says the distance is 70Km (43 miles) and states around the 1 hour mark using any of 3 routes. There are a couple of bottlenecks on all of the routes, but, for peace of mind, if you allow 75-80 minutes you should have a comfortable margin. The current road crosses the 53 year-old Forth Bridge that has had speed restrictions of 40mph-50 mph for at least 3 years because of structural problems. The new bridge opened this week and will shortly be upgraded to full motorway status, with a 70 mph speed limit - that can save 5-10 minutes at busy periods so you should have a sensible time margin. If you stay in touch, I may be able to find figures for avaerage travel times - we've all become accustomed to a tortoise crawl over the old bridge during the last 3 years or so that historical data are meaningless! I would be disappointed if you were unable to average over 40mph when the new bridge is fully operational so any time in excess of 1 hour should be pure safety margin. Hope that makes sense!

Regards.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Google said 54 minutes but we all know how that goes. So if we can get off by 9-9:30 he/we should be able to make an 11am tour. I'll ask again and see if time has improved any in a few months. This is so exciting. We had both just scratched off the list thinking it wasn't feasible and this is the one thing he has said he'd like to do when we started talking about the trip so I'd really like to make it happen. Maybe someone on Roll Call would like the trip also and I could go to castles.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Steve. Google said 54 minutes but we all know how that goes. So if we can get off by 9-9:30 he/we should be able to make an 11am tour. I'll ask again and see if time has improved any in a few months. This is so exciting. We had both just scratched off the list thinking it wasn't feasible and this is the one thing he has said he'd like to do when we started talking about the trip so I'd really like to make it happen. Maybe someone on Roll Call would like the trip also and I could go to castles.

Hi Sandi

Sorry it's been a little longer replying to you - I've only just tracked Robbie down after our return from France late on Saturday evening! Robbie would be delighted to do the Guided Tour to St Andrews - he is happy to follow your visit list or to prepare a suggested tour for you - he mentioned 3-4 hours as a 'norm' but I suspect he'll change to meet your wishes/needs! Robbie did mention 2 other Courses in the vicinity (Fife is renowned for its Links Courses - we have a Links directly across from our wee apartment, but, sadly no Golf Facilities) that are more accessible and are capable of being played without waiting in queues etc. One course starts off with a 'blind hole' where the player cannot see the green because of a large mound directly ahead - to make play 'fair', the Golf Club has installed a periscope so that you can see roughly how the land lies! Robbie's email address is robyboby@me.com and he will be looking for your email! I hope that everything works out for you and your husband. Please let me know if there's anything I can help with - it's quite easy for me to nip next door (provided I'm in Scotland and not off on my own cruise!). Enjoy it all - and please let me know how the cruise went!

Steve

• Like 1

Steve

Thank you so much for this. I'll drop a note to Robbie this morning. Since you hadn't said when you were getting home, I was going to wait another week before contacting you, but I hadn't forgotten.

Hi Sandi,

You malign me, madam! :). I was sure that I had mentioned my return date (it's in the opening sentence of Post #48!) - but, looking back, I have just seen how much text I have posted - I even surprised myself!

BTW, I don't take life seriously, so please don't be offended! I shall be 64 next week and am entering the phase of life when my memory suggests that I have done something - but if I have, a) I cannot find any record; and b) I cannot remember how I did it the first time ... :)

And, just to demonstrate, I meant to say in my earlier post - Robbie mentioned this morning that he tries to leave enough room in the tour to drive down the Fife coast from St Andrews instead of the motorway - the 'East Neuk of Fife' (Neuk is the origin of the 'Nook' in 'Nooks & Crannies'!) is very scenic and you drive past some of the other Links Courses whilst benefiting from coastal views!

Robbie also mentioned that if your husband doesn't wish to play the Course at St Andrews, it is possible to walk on some Sections because it's Public Access land!

Although I am English, I regard Scotland very much as my home and I am very proud to live in Fife. I really hope that you have a wonderful trip overall and that your stay in Scotland is especially memorable - for all the right reasons! Do, please, stay in touch!

Regards

Steve

• 4 months later...