Cococay Snorkeling - Myths and Reality (September 2014)

elliotoakley

SEPTEMBER 2014 UPDATE

COCOCAY SNORKEL

I like snorkeling and saw on the RCL website that you can book a shore excursion / rent snorkel equipment for about $30 however a lot of message boards said bring your own. I was delighted that you could bring your own but then there were some myths and vague answers about the RCL policy on bringing your own stuff. I took a chance!

TO BE CLEAR...

YES you can bring your own snorkel stuff. There was absolutely no restrictions and the security people did not care. HOWEVER they did require you to rent a life vest for $6. So $30 for their package or bring your own and rent a life vest for $6. The choice was obvious, especially if you had a family! (I cruised alone).

In the main reef area they have 4 life guards who keep a good watch on the people. After all the fish, sting rays, and yes the odd jelly fish are all there. Plus the water itself ranges from ankle deep to about 15 feet deep in parts.

MAIN AREA

I recommend you stay in the main lagoon. There is sunken treasure in multiple locations including: airplane, pirate ship with cannons, pirate ship mast, various other hidden treasure scattered throughout the lagoon.

OTHER AREAS

If you walk around the rest of the island there are plenty of other beach areas to swim however the snorkel experience at the back of the island is nothing special. The secondary beaches are just as good but the underwater snorkel experience is nothing more than just fish and grasses etc.