New Zealand planning

RMS Olympic

I just started a thread on the cruise critic ports of call forum asking lots of questions.

I wanted to ask on this board for impressions, suggestions, and critiques on doing a New Zealand cruise.

Thanks

Tom

We sailed around New Zealand last year, roundtrip from Sydney.

We loved the country, and felt we had a taste of what new Zealand has to offer. As some people have said on your other thread, you only see a small amount of the country on a cruise, but that suited us as we didn't want to be driving.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have

Love New Zealand. We spent about 10 days there about 2 years ago. We did not do a cruise however. We flew to Sydney after and took a cruise up to the great barrier reef. We would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

1. Best month to go?

2. Prefer to sail one way between NZ and Sydney to see more of NZ

I see one of you sailed the Sun Princess, the other Rhapsody. Were there many aussies on board?

Princess labels some of their cruises as Aussie experiences (product designed for Australians). Is there a big difference in the food, activities or ambiance?

3.Any shore excursions that are a must do and any that are to be avoided?

Thanks

PS....have sailed both ships....liked them both but now that Rhapsody is leaving down under she is no longer a choice:(

1. Best month to go?

I see one of you sailed the Sun Princess, the other Rhapsody. Were there many aussies on board?

Princess labels some of their cruises as Aussie experiences (product designed for Australians). Is there a big difference in the food, activities or ambiance?

Thanks

PS....have sailed both ships....liked them both but now that Rhapsody is leaving down under she is no longer a choice:(

1. We sailed October/November. We chose the sailing date to fit around a 'big' birthday, rather than on weather/climate. Weather was cooler in the South, but became much warmer as we headed North.

2. Our other Princess sailings have been out of the US and the UK. The majority of passengers were Australian - at least two thirds. The American and British passengers were the next largest nationalities. There was a Brazilian group onboard (around 40-50 people), plus a sprinkling of other nationalities, including New Zealanders!

We found the onboard atmosphere and experience, and food, to be comparable to our other Princess cruises. As you might expect, most of the guest entertainers were from Australia or New Zealand. The Cruise Director was British, and his assistant was American. All onboard prices were in Australian Dollars.

3. We took an independent excursion from Tauranga to Hobbiton, which we'd say was a must. I'm not a huge fan of the films, but the set and location are beautiful.

In the Bay of Islands, we took the Princess Kayaking excursion - this was an amazing morning, kayaking in a beautiful setting.

From Dunedin, we took an independent excursion to see the Otago Peninsula and the yellow eyed penguins - a great day out, and seeing wild penguins was a highlight.

I hope the helps a little, and am happy to answer any other questions

• 3 weeks later...
1. Best month to go?

Went in January 2014 and the weather was abosultely perfect in every port. One rainy day in Sydney( out of 5 pre-cruise) but that was about it.

I did 14 nights on Celebrity Solstice Sydney to Auckland. Great cruise and Itinerary but mostly Americans on my sailing. not many Aussies or Kiwis.

Thanks

I did private tours, organized on CC roll calls. I can recommend if interested

1. Best month to go?

Went in January 2014 and the weather was abosultely perfect in every port. One rainy day in Sydney( out of 5 pre-cruise) but that was about it.

I did 14 nights on Celebrity Solstice Sydney to Auckland. Great cruise and Itinerary but mostly Americans on my sailing. not many Aussies or Kiwis.

Thanks

I did private tours, organized on CC roll calls. I can recommend if interested

if you look at my signature, I have my photos up from my NZ trip last year. Feel free to have a look. ;)

Edited by CRUISEBOY305