Costa Maya for non beach bums

angeleyes27

We were thinking of a cruise that went here. We don't like snorkeling, zip lines, drinking, most water sports. My husband has skin cancer so he can't lay on a beach long and I can't swim. We do like shopping, photography, sightseeing, nice scenery and seeing what makes a place unique. We have liked our cruises to Baltic, Mediterrannean, Alaska, and Canada/ New England cruises. We did not like Bahamas, Jamaica, and St Thomas although Bermuda was pretty nice for the weekend. I was to Cancun before I was married for a weekend and saw Tulum which was nice, but I was there on business so I was kept busy. Is Costa Maya for us? How about Playa del Carmen? Thank you.

We are booked for 02/2016. My research on here points to tours of the Mayan Ruins would be the best option at this port, for you. We are not beach people and it looks like this port is about playing on the beach and drinking. I'm not seeing many shopping opportunities either. We have a small group of 8 adults and 4 little ones, I've been looking for options. The ruins are very interesting if you've never been to the area.

We were thinking of a cruise that went here. We don't like snorkeling, zip lines, drinking, most water sports. My husband has skin cancer so he can't lay on a beach long and I can't swim. We do like shopping, photography, sightseeing, nice scenery and seeing what makes a place unique. We have liked our cruises to Baltic, Mediterrannean, Alaska, and Canada/ New England cruises. We did not like Bahamas, Jamaica, and St Thomas although Bermuda was pretty nice for the weekend. I was to Cancun before I was married for a weekend and saw Tulum which was nice, but I was there on business so I was kept busy. Is Costa Maya for us? How about Playa del Carmen? Thank you.

What you have told us is that you really should not be cruising in the Western Caribbean. That particular route is for the most part all about the beaches, and sun. You are not going to find a lot of shopping, nice scenery, sightseeing, or things of that nature.

Ok. I understand. That is why I have stayed away from the Caribbean. We live by the beach so I don't have to pay to sit on a beach. Sometimes there are other things to do in beach destinations. For istance, we have been to Hawaii 8 times. We see the volcanoes, see hula shows, shop, see Hawaiian ruins, go to a luau on occassion, tour boatanical gardens, walk to waterfalls, take boat rides, tour the mission houses, visit coffee platations, ride bikes, take lei making classes or hula lessons, go on a whale watch, take a catamaran ride, etc. Just examples of non beach things at a beach location. Even in Bermuda, we toured the pottery factory, went to an aquarium, toured an old fort, etc. for the weekend. I was not sure if Costa Maya or Playa del Carmen had anything similar.

I agree that the tour of the Mayan ruins would probably be our best option.

I agree that the tour of the Mayan ruins would probably be our best option.

In your case I would agree. I like beaches and such but what I like about Costa Maya the most is, it's a beach in Mexico you can still go to long before the tourists have come in and taken over.

So few ships go there, I keep wondering how they make a living. It's a great place to lay back, take it easy and enjoy.

I always bring back something from each place that I visit and I tend to look for something made there to help boost the economy. I like history so ruins would be good. When we went to Bahamas, we went to the Atlantis and straw market. We shopped and took an island tour in St Thomas. We went to Dunns River Falls in Jamaica so we do find non beach things to do.

We see the beach all the time even in winter when the tourists are not there although our area is largely locals, very few tourists. We have to sit in shade when we go there because of skin cancer.

Thank you.