First time cruisers: NOLA to Memphis June 5th

LadyScylla

Greetings!

My husband and I will be taking our first cruise ever on the American Queen in June. We were originally supposed to be traveling with 4 other family members, including my Grandmother( a multi-time Mississippi and Delta Queen traveller), but now it is just the two of us.

During the course of my research, I have heard conflicting things on a few topics and I was wondering if anyone might so kind as to be able to clarify a few things for me?

1. Are there indeed washers and dryers available for use? In another thread, dated from 2 years ago, someone said that there were washers and dryers, but I wanted to know if someone who has travelled more recently can confirm this?

2. It is my understanding that there are 2 seatings for dinner, however, when my Aunt booked the trip, the travel agent told her there was only one seating. Is there a reason why this cruise might have only one seating, or have I received inaccurate information?

3. The American Queen website suggests that men bring a sport coat or a suit for the welcome and farewell receptions , yet I have read on another discussion board that men who packed such clothing items wound up not wearing them. Does anyone have anything to say on this matter?

Those are my main questions for now. Thank you in advance for any and all advice. I also appreciate any additional tips concerning all things AQ related. :)

1. Yes, there are washers and dryers. 2 of each, I believe.

2. There were definitely 2 dinner seatings when we were on the boat last June. The early one "sells out" fast.

3. A few men did wear jackets, but my husband did not and did not feel out of place.

Have a wonderful time!

Laurie

We've sailed on 4 AQ cruises since 2012; 3 of them were two-seating dinners, one was an experiment in open dining (during a sailing that was about half full) that has not been repeated to the best of my knowledge.

The laundry is located next to the elevators on Deck 4. Originally there was a single washer and dryer that looked like they came from a flea market, but those were quickly replaced with stack units. The best part is the laundry is free, or at least it has been in the past.

As for dress, quoting from the Essential Travel Guide booklet on AQ's website, "Gentlemen may wish to wear a sport coat, but it is not required." I fall in the category of liking to wear one on occasion (I rarely get a chance here in rural Florida). One does not stand out either way. Folks on the boat are generally not judgemental; if someone comes aboard like that, the relaxed experience tends to wipe it away...

We'll be aboard again in August for our 50th anniversary; I'll likely bring a sport coat (but never a tie) for that occasion. However, we have driven our RV to every AQ cruise, so don't have to worry about luggage on a plane.