Getting on & off Celebrity ship with Power Chair

mjwcruising

My question is about Celebrity "S" class ships.

Do people with power chairs and walkers use the regular ramps to get on and off the ship when in ports? Some of the ramps can be quite steep and / or long.

I have cruised on Celebrity a bunch of times but never really noticed. This time we will be traveling with another couple. The DH has a power chair and the DW has a walker.

We are cruising to the Eastern Caribbean and only have one excursion booked in Antiqua. That is the only port we found with an accessible van.

My husband travels in a power chair full time. Yes they use the reguar ramp. He always has someone (two or three usually) help push chair up ramp. Sometimes he finds it easier to go backwards (does not like to see steep ramp ahead of him). Let staff help you. They really are willing to do anything and everything for him.

Enjoy your trip.:)

Agree with everything Giggleykim said. We cruised on Solstice earlier this year, and the ramp crew were very helpful.

I have pictures of a C3 accessible cabin in my signature file, if you're interested in seeing it. We thought it was very well designed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just off the Celebrity Solstice on a Western Mediterranean itinerary. The ramps are somewhat steep, but the staff are really great about it. My wife uses a travel scooter, and they offered to drive it down the ramp, carry it down the ramp, help her drive it, or get a wheelchair for her. The first port was tough as she wasn't used to it, but as the cruise went on it became easier for her, and by the end she was a pro.

Celebrity is really good for those with mobility challenges. BUT, remember to register your mobility issues with the cruise line, as in port sometimes they provide special (FREE) transportation for those registered guests. Bonus!

Archived