Wheelchair Transportation in Miami

dan722

I am looking for some information on wheelchair transportation in Miami. I have found that the taxis do not have a joint dispatch system for accessible taxi service, like they do in fort Lauderdale. It seems they also require a long, 4 hours, advanced notice and in some cases 24 HRS advance notice. I will be sailing on a Celebrity cruise and will be flying into Miami’s Airport. I am looking for some kind of wheelchair accessible transportation from the Airport to a hotel, and the next day from the hotel to the cruise port. Celebrity can provide transportation to the Airport after the cruise. I’m wondering if anyone has good solutions or knows of some kind of transportation that I can get on a relatively short notice from the Airport. I wouldn’t be able to necessarily give them the time I would be ready to be picked up at the Airport as I don’t know for sure how long it will take to get off the plane, if the flight is on time, collect baggage and so on. I could try and get a taxi for the trip from the hotel to the port. Has anyone used the accessible taxis in Miami? I use a motorized wheelchair so I require a vehicle with a lift or a ramp. I’m unable to get out of the chair for transport. That kind of rules out most hotel shuttles as very few of them have lifts.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you, Dan

If the hotel you select offers shuttle service to/from airport, they also have to offer you the same. If it is free, you get it free, if there is a nominal charge, you pay the same charge. If they tell you otherwise, just remind them that is the law. If the hotel does not offer a shuttle, I'd suggest Super Shuttle.

As far as getting to the port, Super Shuttle. Taking you to the port, you should not have any problems with Super Shuttle. If you select them, I'd suggest you choose the “shared” option for cost savings. Just tell them you have to be at the Cruise Terminal at an earlier hour.

Now we plan to take the public buses from our hotel to the port. The Port of Miami has finally put in a pedestrian path that will allow us to get to the terminals without “jumping” off a curb. However, we have modified our scooters to accommodate our luggage thus I only have to tote my POC. Everything else is attached to the scooter.

Since we have a tight schedule getting to the airport, I had contacted the Miami-Dade transit department about a shuttle service they use to have. They no longer offer that service, however they provided the following info: "Dear Ms. J. - Thank you for contacting our office and for your interest in the Department of Transportation and Public Works’ Transit services. Please note that DTPW discontinued the Port of Miami Bus Circulator in 2015. If you are a certified Paratransit rider in your jurisdiction of origin, you may request visitor’s eligibility in Miami-Dade County by contacting the Paratransit Operations Division at 786-469-5000 or at paratransit@miamidade.gov to inquire about this option and the modalities of use." I believe that service is available when public accessible transportation (buses, metro, etc.) is not available.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways