hiking Mendenhall Glacier trails on our own?

sam3

We're going on NCL Alaskan cruise this summer. While I think organized excursions are a great convenience, I'm wondering if we can do this one on our own. It's the Mendenhall Glacier Guide's Choice Adventure Hike. From what I can tell, they hike one of 2 established trails in the park. We are experienced hikers, so the only issue is whether it's likely that we'll have a transportation snag and end up missing the boat??? Of course that would be awful; however, I hate to spend $83.00 per person to go into a national park (I think admission is about $5.00). I know there's a shuttle that runs from the port to the park (about $5.00 per person), but it doesn't start until 9am. We'll be in Juneau from about 7am- 2pm, so maybe we'd have to find other transportation to get to the park??? I would be so grateful for input from anyone in the know. Thanks.

We did the $83 per person option last summer. I do not think it was worth $83 (and to make it worse - we had 4 people in our group $$$). The guides can add value. But, if you are at the end of the line (there were about 13 total) you can't always hear what is being said.

just my .02

Good luck and enjoy Alaska!!!

We were also on NCL last summer with a similar Juneau schedule. The line to get back on the ship was VERY LONG! It took ~40 minutes to get through the line and back on the ship.

I checked the Mendenhall web site and it says you can catch the city bus or taxi up there.

I have not been there, but that sure makes it sound very do-able on your own -- and much cheaper.

There is a public bus to the Glacier, but my understanding is that it drops you two miles away. So, if you take it, you would have to factor in the time it would take you to walk two miles in each direction.

Last year we cruised on the Diamond from Seattle. We made arrangements in Juneau to rent a car from rent-a-wreck. We paid a bit extra to have them deliver the car to the library, which is a building within blocks of where the ship docks. We drove out to Mendenhall Glacier and hiked one of the trails. We saw a HUGE porcupine in a tree. There were bear sightings that morning so they said to be 'bear aware' and talk loudly while walking on the trails. It was quite an experience and we had a good time. We went in July, the trails are easily marked and you can go into the visitors center to get more information if you need however there is a large board with the trail maps shown. There are information boards all along the short walk to the water also. Don't forget your camera.

We are planning to rent a car while we are there. I believe it will cost $80 and from what I understand it can be picked up within walking distance from the port. I figure we can drive around when we are done at Mendenhall glacer and sight see. There are four of us so we will be saving money over the tour and can also do it at our own pace.

I believe it's $12 round trip and runs every half hour or so. No need to rush with them as you can take any of their buses back to town.

Can anyone tell us if they drop you off near the parking lot for the observation area or is their drop off point also a long ways to walk?

-Monte

For clairfication- the Juneau CITY bus drops off a mile from the visitor center- level walk. There are a couple bus companies that SHUTTLE to Mendenhall for $6 each way. These buses are picked on the dock, purchase your ticket from the dock booths. Drop off is in the lot by the tram.

Do your homework and determine what you want a car for. It should be for everything out of town. :) Downtown Juneau is very congested and parking a problem on busy days.

Archived