Private Snorkel Excursions in Kona?

SailingSunsets33

Hi all!

My husband and I will be going on a POA cruise next summer (so far away, I know. I'm a crazy planner). I have read many posts about how beautiful it is to snorkel in Kona, and I have also read that most people (who have posted) have gone on the Captain Zodiac excursion with the ship. My question is, has anyone used a private snorkel company in Kona? I have researched some tours and am specifically looking at Sea Paradise (I would prefer a smaller group).

Any input, advice, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Hi SS33

My wife and I were just over there a couple of weeks ago on the Grand Princess. We did the open ocean dolphin swim excursion through the ship. It was with Captain Zodiac. The reason we booked through the ship was the tight time window. We docked in Hilo only from 8:00 til 5:00. You can go to CZ's website and book directly with them. The tour was GREAT! If you are not under the gun to make it back to the ship, book it directly.

Hi all!

My husband and I will be going on a POA cruise next summer (so far away, I know. I'm a crazy planner). I have read many posts about how beautiful it is to snorkel in Kona, and I have also read that most people (who have posted) have gone on the Captain Zodiac excursion with the ship. My question is, has anyone used a private snorkel company in Kona? I have researched some tours and am specifically looking at Sea Paradise (I would prefer a smaller group).

Any input, advice, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Well, even the ship's tours contract with a "private" tour company, so I'm not sure what you mean by a private company. Zodiac is a private company who does tours for anyone, but they also do group tours for the ships. Of course there are many tour companies who do not contract with the ships, but passengers may book with them, just like anyone else. We did not choose Zodiac simply because they use rubber rafts and we like our comfort. Maybe in our younger days.

On one of our POA cruises, we used Fair Winds out of Keauhou Bay to snorkel at Kealakekua Bay which is the destination we wanted. They have good reviews here and on Trip Advisor. A lot more comfort, great crew and good food. More people than on a small catamoran, but not at all crowded.

It looks like the company you mentioned uses smaller catamoran type boats and also leaves from Keauhou Bay. Looks like it also goes to Kealakekua Bay as well as a second site. Keauhou is about a 20 minute taxi ride from the port in Kona, which is a tender port. For an 8:00 am sign in, you would need to be in a taxi at around 7:30. It was easily doable for us, but we were in the first tender off the ship, and we arrived at 7:00. I don't recall our checkin time, it may have been 8:30, but I know we arrived way early. Looks like this company might have good reviews, but I'd think about port arrival time and tour time. If you do end up going to Keauhou, the taxis will be near the street by the dock area when you exit from the tender. I would ask the driver to return for you at the designated time the boat is to return, and take their card just in case.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi SS33

My wife and I were just over there a couple of weeks ago on the Grand Princess. We did the open ocean dolphin swim excursion through the ship. It was with Captain Zodiac. The reason we booked through the ship was the tight time window. We docked in Hilo only from 8:00 til 5:00. You can go to CZ's website and book directly with them. The tour was GREAT! If you are not under the gun to make it back to the ship, book it directly.

Thanks! I'm not sure what I will do yet, but I appreciate the info. I would love to see dolphins :)

Well, even the ship's tours contract with a "private" tour company, so I'm not sure what you mean by a private company. Zodiac is a private company who does tours for anyone, but they also do group tours for the ships. Of course there are many tour companies who do not contract with the ships, but passengers may book with them, just like anyone else. We did not choose Zodiac simply because they use rubber rafts and we like our comfort. Maybe in our younger days.

On one of our POA cruises, we used Fair Winds out of Keauhou Bay to snorkel at Kealakekua Bay which is the destination we wanted. They have good reviews here and on Trip Advisor. A lot more comfort, great crew and good food. More people than on a small catamoran, but not at all crowded.

It looks like the company you mentioned uses smaller catamoran type boats and also leaves from Keauhou Bay. Looks like it also goes to Kealakekua Bay as well as a second site. Keauhou is about a 20 minute taxi ride from the port in Kona, which is a tender port. For an 8:00 am sign in, you would need to be in a taxi at around 7:30. It was easily doable for us, but we were in the first tender off the ship, and we arrived at 7:00. I don't recall our checkin time, it may have been 8:30, but I know we arrived way early. Looks like this company might have good reviews, but I'd think about port arrival time and tour time. If you do end up going to Keauhou, the taxis will be near the street by the dock area when you exit from the tender. I would ask the driver to return for you at the designated time the boat is to return, and take their card just in case.

Thanks Punkin! When I said "private" companies, I misspoke. I meant to ask if anyone had booked with companies directly, not through NCL. I really appreciate your advice. If we booked with a company directly, we would definitely be waiting for the tenders as early as possible.

http://www.islandwidefamilytours.com/#!kona-cruise-ship-snorkeling-experience/y5q16

Island Wide Family Tours.

Part of Mary Lou's Big Island tours.

Owned and operated by Mary Lou's son. ;)

We toured with Mary Lou's son Kyle in Kona in March, but rather than the snorkel tour it was the 'land tour' which we enjoyed very much. For anyone who would prefer a snorkel off the "beach" rather than going out in a boat, but doesn't want to go it alone, this tour might be a good option. The location is the very popular place commonly known as "two step", called that because it is literally two steps off the rock ledges into a very nice snorkel spot. I know the place has another name, but I don't recall it. It is right next to the national park. I am a little leery of stepping off into the ocean with no lifeguards or tour guides nearby. But I might try 2 step with Kyle, who I believe goes into the water with you. I don't know of any other tour operator who offers this option, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by punkincc

We toured with Mary Lou's son Kyle in Kona in March, but rather than the snorkel tour it was the 'land tour' which we enjoyed very much. For anyone who would prefer a snorkel off the "beach" rather than going out in a boat, but doesn't want to go it alone, this tour might be a good option. The location is the very popular place commonly known as "two step", called that because it is literally two steps off the rock ledges into a very nice snorkel spot. I know the place has another name, but I don't recall it. It is right next to the national park. I am a little leery of stepping off into the ocean with no lifeguards or tour guides nearby. But I might try 2 step with Kyle, who I believe goes into the water with you. I don't know of any other tour operator who offers this option, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

thanks for the information. organizing a tour with my roll call with Kyle. Also with Mary Lou for Hilo.

Edited by CRUISEBOY305

thanks for the information. organizing a tour with my roll call with Kyle. Also with Mary Lou for Hilo.

The land tour or the snorkel for Kona? We really enjoyed the land tour, lots of variety, from historic areas, scenic vistas, to coffee plantations to honey operations. We have used Mary Lou in Hilo also. Great tour.

The land tour or the snorkel for Kona? We really enjoyed the land tour, lots of variety, from historic areas, scenic vistas, to coffee plantations to honey operations. We have used Mary Lou in Hilo also. Great tour.

I plan to snorkel in Kona. I really don't have any water related activities planned for this trip. :D

Edited by CRUISEBOY305

We went with Kyle to two step (also known as Honaunau Bay). He did go into the water with us and stayed in. At one point he left to help some people out of the water, but only after checking with us to make sure we were comfortable.

We went with Kyle to two step (also known as Honaunau Bay). He did go into the water with us and stayed in. At one point he left to help some people out of the water, but only after checking with us to make sure we were comfortable.

love your POA review. :D