Enjoying Trollfjord!

Barrheadlass

We are only on day 2, but enjoying it so far. There are less than 500 passengers on board, mostly Germans and Norwegians, English speakers certainly in the minority. The only thing we object to is the ridiculous water policy...and I'm glad I'm not a drinker! We just strolled around Alesund today, skipping the tour. Weather was rainy but was clearing as we pulled out of port. By the way, we took the train from Oslo yesterday and loved the scenery. Way more snow inland than here. In fact, it doesn't look good for the dog sledding optional due to lack of snow. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

We crossed the arctic circle an hour ago, and of course it is still dark. The King Neptune ceremony is in a little while. We tried to sign up For a dog sledding optional excursion but they are sold out...but they are iffy anyway due to a lack of snow. This cruise is certainly different from those I've taken on Oceania and HAL...different but fun. Some of the lack of activity is making me sleepy, but the lack of sunlight is certainly contributing to that. We're getting off in a couple of hours to walk around Bodo, that should wake me up!

About midnight last night the announcement came: northern lights! We raced to deck 9 and stayed nearly an hour. No colors, but lots of other activity. It was thrilling!

How great! The colors are often difficult to see with the bare eye, they show up only in the pictures. I'm so happy for you! Isn't it an incredible experience?

Where are you now?

Someone told me that...that photographs show color our eyes can't see. Who knew? We left Hammerfest a few hours ago and are now rocking and rolling. Got to see more lights last night, too. And I'm glad I took your advice about cleats for my shoes, SarniaLo. They have been very useful. Yes, the lights are truly amazing!

Edited by Barrheadlass

Hello BHL,

So glad to hear that you are having a good cruise and have had the thrill of the Northern Lights! Standing under that dome of shimmering green light was a highlight of our 9 week trip... just got home! In retrospect, I have to say that I think the food on Hurtigruten was way above my expectations and the cruise was so relaxing, unlike any other type of touring. So glad to have had the experience.

Enjoy it all! m--