Princess Transfer Valparaiso to Santiago~Additional Cost?

Carole_T

I was cautioned to make sure I am not charged an additional fee for my luggage when paying for the ships transfer from port to airport!?!?

Has anyone had experience with Princesses transfer directly from the ship to the airport in Valparaiso?

I have a suspicion that they (Princess) may do this if you take their excursion that ends up at the airport!

Thanks for your help, Carole

we took the VERY comfortable bus, with our luggage, to Alameda station in Santiago for US$5- per each. taxi from there to airport is around US$20- (pesos best, but dollars might be taken, be sure to ask...) total travel time about 3 hours.

Edited by Merlinite

we took the VERY comfortable bus, with our luggage, to Alameda station in Santiago for US$5- per each. just sayin...

Tell me more!!!

Alameda station is how close to the airport? Bus will accomodate two large rolling suitcases & our backpacks? Any transfers? Bus is how far from the port terminal? Do they take US Cash?

Sorry for so many questions. I am not a a world traveler and am a little out of my comfort zone going to South America, but willing to put myself out there and experience the country!

So appreciate any info you can provide!

Carole

Oh, you edited with more info!!!!

Thanks!

Carole

the bus station is close to the port in Valpo, a taxi should be around 10 bucks. pesos are required. just hit an ATM at the port, or somewhere on the way. US$100- should be plenty. we stayed in Santiago 3 days and recommend it if you have the time, otherwise the airport is 30-40 minutes from Alameda bus station. there is a station before that, but it is not a terminal, so i suggest Alameda. taxis are readily available. speaking spanish is a huge plus, obviously, but locals are very willing to help with translations.

the buses will carry whatever luggage you have at no extra charge, but the bano at the terminal is 300 pesos (about 50 cents). the trip is about 90 minutes.

great trip!!! enjoy.

• 1 month later...
the bus station is close to the port in Valpo, a taxi should be around 10 bucks. pesos are required. just hit an ATM at the port, or somewhere on the way. US$100- should be plenty. we stayed in Santiago 3 days and recommend it if you have the time, otherwise the airport is 30-40 minutes from Alameda bus station. there is a station before that, but it is not a terminal, so i suggest Alameda. taxis are readily available. speaking spanish is a huge plus, obviously, but locals are very willing to help with translations.

the buses will carry whatever luggage you have at no extra charge, but the bano at the terminal is 300 pesos (about 50 cents). the trip is about 90 minutes.

great trip!!! enjoy.

Merlinite, can you provide details for the reverse? We are coming into Santiago and going to the port in Valparaiso. Should we stay in Santiago a day and Valparaiso for another day before the trip? Suggestions on hotels and sights to see.

Merlinite, can you provide details for the reverse? We are coming into Santiago and going to the port in Valparaiso. Should we stay in Santiago a day and Valparaiso for another day before the trip? Suggestions on hotels and sights to see.

sure, just reverse the process. get to the bus terminal Alameda, enjoy a nice bus ride to Valpo.

absolutely spend some days in both. Vina del Mar is not worth the time and effort, IMO. in Santiago there are many hotels, of course. try to get close to downtown. in Valpo for 1 nite, the Ibis.

keep in mind it's a long travel day to get there, and you will be tired. Most flights arrive early morning, so make sure you can check in early. we had good luck with airbnb. Santiago is a really nice city! have some Patagonian Wild Boar