Cesme/Ephesus

Has anybody been to Ephesus from cesme? I'm looking at it for our upcoming trip. I'm not keen on being in Turkey at all really but want to see Ephesus. The ships excursion indicates a 2 hour coach journey each way with only around an hour and a half actually in Ephesus itself. Would that be enough time to see it,do it ,,appreciate what I'm seeing etc? I'm thinking its pompei- ish,,am I right? I would never consider Turkey as a holiday destination so this is probably my one chance to see it. Any input greatly appreciated:)

Well,,squash my butternuts...I've just seen the news!

It doesn't look good for Turkey does it. If you did decide on the Ephesus trip then I would just say it is not as big as Pompeii, but I love it. An hour and a half is long enough to wander through the main part, but not long enough to go into the terraced houses which are an interesting but not essential feature.

Also be aware it is very hot with little shade.

In normal circumstances I would recommend going, and not to miss the opportunity. However, I am still hoping they may change this port, and maybe do Rhodes or something similar instead. I think we are on board the same week as you, so we will soon see. Have a read of the foreign office advice though which does flag up tourist attraction as possible sites for attacks.

Sweby

Well,,I've booked the Ephesus trip just in case but I am going to keep a close eye on things between now and when we go on the 12th August. If there is more trouble or I am not 100% comfortable with it I will cancel it. I too am hoping that Thomson cancel this port. We will soon see I suppose.

I'm on the same cruise. We've booked the trip but I've been waiting for a change in itinerary. I think if there's an attack outside Istanbul then they may change it. The situation there is volatile in places and Ephesus is such a tourist attraction.

Cesme seemed a million light years away from anything remotely threatening last week. Lovely wee town just no one there bar cruise passengers and a few tourists from Turkey and Russian states. We were there during the coup and there was not a hint of any turmoil a very tranquil, quiet, pleasant town. Didn't do Ephesus but the folk we did speak to who had said it was good to see but a very long day. The castle and museum in Cesme then the shops and the bars / restaurants along the promenade and marina were more than enough to fill the hours that we were there. The ice cream shop at the bottom of the main shopping street was amazing and at 3 lira a scoop was cheap - try the honey and almond a local speciality and amazing.