excursions

4 wheeler

I'm taking a 9 day cruise of New England/Canada in Oct. What excursions would you recommend that are wheelchair accessible in the following ports - Boston, Portland, Me, Halifax and St. John? We get back to Cape Liberty in the morning and have about 5 hours before we have to be at the Newark airport. Any ideas for sightseeing? There will be 4 of us. I'm in a wheelchair. but can transfer to a vehicle. Thanks.

I'm taking a 9 day cruise of New England/Canada in Oct. What excursions would you recommend that are wheelchair accessible in the following ports - Boston, Portland, Me, Halifax and St. John? We get back to Cape Liberty in the morning and have about 5 hours before we have to be at the Newark airport. Any ideas for sightseeing? There will be 4 of us. I'm in a wheelchair. but can transfer to a vehicle. Thanks.

You'll find a lot of information if you do a search of this forum using each port as the keyword.

Have you checked to see what's available through your cruise line? My sister and I are on Princess NE/Canada in October and I booked 3 accessible tours through Princess. In Boston we're going to the JFK Library and John Adams house, and in Portland, we're doing an accessible tour of Acadia National Park.

As an FYI I did contact Halifax and St. John about their HOHO buses and unfortunately neither city offers accessible buses so we're sticking to cruise-sponsored tours.

Assuming that you could store the wheelchair under a normal coach and climb a step or two to get aboard then I'd recommend:

Boston - take a panoraminc tour which takes in most of the highlights. Get off at Quincy market for a few hours of bumbling around and a bite to eat then take the shuttle back to the ship. Make sure you have the correct change, because the guy taking the fares stiffed the man in front of us in the queue quite badly.

Portland - if I remermber corectly, they do an excursion to a shopping mall, if that's your thing. We just had a nice wheel around. It's a pleasant little place but I found some shops and restaurants inacessible due to steps.

Halifax - has a very pleasant promenade if the weather is nice (as it was for us) and there is a lot going off if it is the weekend. We spent all day just wandering along and soaking things up. The push up into town is a bit of a challenge but do-able.

St John - no idea, just hope you don't get switched to Corner Brook late in the day as we did. It's a difficult and worthless climb in a chair to get away from the port because there's nothing worth seeing once in town. Except the paper factory, but you can see that from the ship. No, if you end up in Corner Brook definately take the national park tour which takes about four hours but people wiser than us who did it reckoned it was great.