TradeWinds catamaran cruise....ever done it?

twoontheisle

My partner and I are scheduled to do a catamaran cruise from Saint Vincent in the Grenadines next month on a 54' double hulled catamaran that sleeps 10 persons. Have any of you done one of their excursions? I found very few reviews on Tripadvisor so I am curious as to a gay persons perspective about the close quarters for passengers and the crew of 2!

Hey,

We did a timeshare exchange with Tradewinds out of Tortola several years ago. We had an amazing time. Part of the reason though, was that once we booked our trip we got two straight couples we were very close to to join us. When we got to the marina there were 8 groups for the two boats. They put 5 couples who didn't know each other on one boat and put us and our friends on the other. So we 6 had our own boat and crew. It obviously made for a VERY comfortable week. The crew was most accomodating and we had NO issues.

Every night we would moor near the other boat. I can't say they weren't having fun, but they sure seemed to scatter over the deck in twos sort of all staying to themselves. Ther'e's actually enough deck space to get away from others should you choose too.

When we went they told us we had the LAST boat without air conditioning. We did our trip in August and honestly the nights in the tiny cabin with the hatch open and scrawny fan oscillating back and forth were pretty miserable. I noticed the glwoing description even now on Tradewinds site saying how the fan and open hatch made for delightful sleeping...Let's hope your cabin is airconditioned.

When we first discussed going by ourselves we agreed we'd just have to make the most of whoever the other passengers were. Hopefully there won't be some homophobe couple on there. Barring that, you should have an awesome time..., enjoy yourselves, and expect the crew to go out of their way to show y'all an amazing time.

Let me know how it goes. It's something we've talked about doing again in the future.

Myron

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Myron! That has been the best info we have ever received about the cruise! I am having a hard time getting responses to my questions from "tradewinds" so your information was indeed appreciated. I would like to think that anyone who owns (or trades for) one of these exotic timeshare vacations would be "somewhat" socially tolerant, as this is NOT the normal type of vacation. Let's hope the weather gods are with us......it should be a little nicer than August in the Carib! I will keep in touch and let you know how this pans out.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. All we can say is WOW! Even though we had some mixed emotions about cruising with 8 people we have not met, aboard a 54 foot double-hulled catamaran, we had the best vacation we have had in over 22 years together. In fact, we enjoyed it so much, that we bought a membership for 12 years of cruising.....catamaran style. The crew was a very handsome young couple (M & F) who tended to all of our needs. The food was amazing, and the ports of call were all so unique from each other. Sure, the cabins are quite tiny, but they each had a queen sized bed and a bathroom with a separate shower. There was plenty of storage, but how much room do you really need for 7 days of swim suits, and one pair of shoes which you can not wear on board. We spent most of the time laying in the front "Hammocks" of the catamaran, or sitting on the bow pontoons letting the wind (and waves) take us to another place.

As far as the passenger mix, even though we were the only same sex couple, we had a blast with a young straight couple from Montana, a pharmacist and his wife from Maine, and another middle aged straight couple from Mass. It was great to snorkle, scuba, swim, etc and share our experiences at the end of the day, over cocktails. One day we all shrieked with delight as a pod of dolphins ecsorted us along the way. AMAZING.

I know that there has been almost no information about Tradewinds Cruiseclub on this site, so if anyone would like more information, feel free to e-mail me at sfruetel-at-cox-dot-net.........or something like that!

Archived