Cartegena : doable on your own?

blindrid

I'm not a big tour / excursion guy (depending on where of course) as I've had more fun on our own than a bunch of people wandering around. City tours have never been high on my list.

Anyway, Is Cartegena doable on your own and make it worthwhile?

It's very easy to do on your own...I lived there for three years quite some time ago, and visited last year on a Celebrity ship. Assuming that you only have one day (basically a few hours)...

1. Catch a taxi just as you exit the port area (they are lined up there, ready for the tourists)...ask to go to El Centro...the old part of the city...you can easily wander all around the walled area of the old city by yourself and take in the sites...great fun...much to see!! The taxi fare will be approximately $20 (possibly $25)...there will be someone there who speaks English and can get you into the cab. Or...you can walk directly across that somewhat busy street in the same area and catch a cab to El Centro for much less...probably about ten dollars...but you'll have to handle the Spanish language yourself...you can't depend upon the taxi drivers to speak much English (but you could get lucky).

2. Give yourself some extra time to get back to the dockyard...that particular street can get quite crowded (traffic jams) late in the afternoon when everyone is returning and the ships are ready to leave. In catching a taxi to get back to the ship from El Centro (the taxis are everywhere) and assuming you don't speak Spanish, go to one of the online translation sites, and be prepared to say to the driver in Spanish: "I only have U.S. dollars. How much to go to the ship port in Manga?"

He should tell you..."diez dollars"....ten dollars for the ride. You could get a driver that tells you it's more money, but, unless taxi prices have really gone up, you should be able to do the trip for that amount.

3. If you feel you have time, have the taxi from the port take you all the way to the residential/commercial/hotel/beach area of Bocagrande (you'll pay a little more money) (ask to be let off at the Hotel Capilla del Mar...and then explore the area. You can easily walk back to El Centro, the old city, from Bocagrande...just follow any of the streets that border the ocean. It's a nice walk...maybe about 30 to 45 minutes....then explore the walled city area, and get the cab back to the ship.

These are just my very simple suggestions for heading out on your own, and skipping any crowded tour groups. The people there are wonderful! I hope to get back for another visit before long.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Going to be in Cartagena again in December and wonder if anyone else tried the walk from Boca Grande beach area to El Centro? Did anyone sit on the beach and enjoy it? What area did you walk through from beach area to El Centro? Any shopping along the way that looked good? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...