First Mediterranean Cruise Questions

gw2fll

We are rapidly approaching our first Mediterranean cruise (October) and had a few questions that we hope our friends at Cruise Critic can help with. I have scrolled thru several of the Thread Groups, but unable to find answers. (I know they have been asked before, but could not find anything.)

1. We will be sailing Allure of the Seas out of Barcelona and wondered what currency will shipboard charges at time of sale be billed in? Will RCCL charge us in Euro or US Dollars?

2. We are with Verizon Wireless - anyone have any suggestions or pointers for use of a smartphone? We are not concerned with the data portion, more interested in voice and text throughout the cruise and struggling with the necessary plan changes.

Thanks very much in advance for suggestions and ideas.

I can only tell you about Verizon iPhone -

Verizon can add a package onto your plan when you travel that can bring your phone calls down around .25 -.50 a minute for most countries. It's not that expensive and pro-rated.We like to call home a few times so we like to add this.

Verizon also has a package they can add on that sells you internet time. It's a little costly and get used up quickly. For us, we usually find free internet when we are in a town or often the it's free around the port. Since Med cruises are usually pretty port intensive,there is a lot of opportunities to use you internet on your phone.

When I get on the plane from our home I turn off the "cellar data" on my phone. This allows my phone to work as a phone and I can send and receive texts. No use of internet. No email. You don't want to turn this on until your plane lands back home! If you turn this on… it will cost you a lot of money! All your emails and sites on your phone will start to update and that uses a lot of data.

When you are in an area with free internet go into your settings and go to wifi. Tap the wifi name linked to where you are and go from there! It's nice and easy!!

Remember to never turn on "cellular data". It stays off even when using free internet.

I forget the exact costs of texts-I'm not sure if it's .25 or .50 to send a text and .5 to receive a text.

I hope this helps. Have a fantastic trip!!

We are also on Verizon. They say they have an international add-on to your account for $40 a month. Calls from home are the same for the caller as if you were at home and your calls are not limited by number for the price.

Check with your local Verizon store.

Glenn:cool:

Thanks for all the great info. Will give Verizon a call or swing by the store so we can chat in person to figure out the best approach. The way they have it on the website is just so confusing, especially with the "special" they have now (at least it appears to be a special).

I have made a note to turn off cellular data once we board the plane and will leave it off until we land back home.

Thanks again.