Just returned! Emerald Princess - 7/28/13 - quick advice!

Please, please, please...if you are traveling to the Baltic/St. Petersburg in the next few weeks, PLEASE take shorts, swimsuit, tank tops, sundresses! Layering is fine, but be sure your "first" layer is suitable to be worn without a jacket or sweater...it was warm every day of our cruise except for our second St. Petersburg day...

Also, take sunscreen, a hat/visor, sunglasses and enjoy this amazing ship and the beautiful ports it provides.

We had an amazing cruise but I packed entirely wrong...

:(

Jennifer

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely throw in a few short sleeved sundresses and a cardigan or two. I go in 2 weeks (excitement!) and have been wondering about the weather. More about how some would interpret hot/cold and I see you are from the south. So if it was hot to you then it will be hot to me. I just can't remember what 70 degrees feels like since it rarely gets that cold in Houston.

Judging the weather is tricky at best but I will tell you that we purchased shorts and tee shirts in Copenhagen our first day there, before the ship sailed. I should have taken all the clothes I packed for our Hawaii cruise back in May on this Baltic trip!

From what I had read, I was prepared for a few cloudy and rainy days but I must have brought our Gulf sunshine in my suitcase because it was glorious...everyone was smiling in the ports, tourists and natives alike, at the beautiful days we had.

Remember that the museums, palaces, etc. are not air-conditioned, as well as most of the shops, hotels, restaurants. Lots of open-air bistros, etc. but it gets stuffy and warm inside the attractions you will want to visit and it's much easier to add a sweater than try to peel off enough clothes to be comfortable. Start with very light-weight things and add what you need to be appropriate for the day, my best advice...

Just another word of caution here, too...there were several injuries to passengers on our cruise (in particular, our tours) so plan for some stable walking shoes/sandals and always look down as you tread on those cobblestones while trying to see the sights. Not easy to do but one gal missed every shore excursion until we got to SPB with a sprained knee and a black eye from a terrible fall in Copenhagen before we left port.

Jennifer

we were there first week of July and temps never broke 70 degrees. Rainy and cool. we were able to wear shorts 2 days out of 12. Be prepared for anything in the Baltic.

Also a few churches wouldn't allow shorts to be worn inside the church

we also had several people fall and get "skinned up", cobble stone streets are everywhere

Please, please, please...if you are traveling to the Baltic/St. Petersburg in the next few weeks, PLEASE take shorts, swimsuit, tank tops, sundresses! Layering is fine, but be sure your "first" layer is suitable to be worn without a jacket or sweater...it was warm every day of our cruise except for our second St. Petersburg day...

Also, take sunscreen, a hat/visor, sunglasses and enjoy this amazing ship and the beautiful ports it provides.

We had an amazing cruise but I packed entirely wrong...

:(

Jennifer

Good to get some advice from a neighbor in Gulfport! We'll be there in a month, so expecting cooler weather. I would not have been prepared for hot weather either. Our next trip will be Hawaii, but when we were there last, I wore a light jacket much of the time. Guess it is just best to be prepared for any type of weather.

Archived