Puntarenas - macaw sanctuary

js4rq

Hi!

We are looking into Puntarenas tours for our Panama canal on Norwegian Star next year.

I see there is a macaw sanctuary. What would be the way of getting there - a customised tour or taxi? We are still unsure what we would like to see and do at this port.

Forgot to mention - the Aerial Tram looks like something we'd be interested in doing; however NCL only offers one tour that has the Aerial Tram ride and is a full day itinerary.

Oh bummer, he doesn't do tours out of Puntarenas. Back to research I go!

If you check out tripadvisor, the top tour company they show is Enoc Arenas travel. They have a tour which goes to the bird sanctuary, it is called the "Animal Lovers" tour. I considered doing this tour but the CC roll call group is using Odyssey Travels 6 in 1 tour, so we are going with that one. Here is the link to their website--www.arenastravelcr.com

We have not been yet, so I am just going on what I read, good luck.

Here is their description of the tour:

Animal Lovers Tour

$98 per person 4 people minimum

This tour includes 3 activities that wont let you forget your trip to Costa Rica

First we are going to stop at the monkeys place the wild white faced monkeys will welcome us really friendly and playful and you will be able to observe and interact with them

Our second stop will be at tarcoles river for the famous Bird watching and feeding crocodile tour here you will observe 18 feet long crocodiles and acuatic birds such as egrets, herons, spoonbills, falcons and more.

After this exciting tour you will be tasting a costarrican lunch with a delicius fruit ponch at Villa Caletas restaurant with the best views of the area.

For our last stop you will be visiting the scarlet Macaw Sanctuary, here the macaws will be flying in the wild not in cages there will be some other birds like tucans some other species of macaws but as they don't belog to the costarrican territory the goberment don't let them been in the wild here you will also meet a rescue couple of the american tapir who just have a baby tapir, monkeys, sometimes we can see sloths depending on how lazy they feel that day they show themself to people is important to let you know the this sanctuary is not a zoo is a rescue center for macaws the have been part of the black market in Costa Rica.

Stop for shoping at a local good craft store (optional)