Searching airlines for flights to Hawaii

marcyjane

Been looking today into booking airfare from Nashville, Tn to Honolulu.

In the past have used Delta and Southwest. This trip seems American Airlines has the best price and shortest flight times. This will be the longest flight I've ever taken and was just wondering I know Southwest does not offer movies on board their flights , but anyone that has been on American on a long flight do they offer any movies for free.

Also is the flight as longgggg as it seems?

My last flight was to Seattle from Nashville, that wasn't to bad time passsed pretty fast, but then I slept most of the flight.

Thanks,

Marcy

As you may know, Southwest Airlines does not fly to Hawaii. However, one can now buy a ticket on their website to HNL, but the flight from the continental US will be operated by ATA. They do not offer movies for free. According to their website: On select flights of over five hours in duration, ATA also offers popular feature films for your enjoyment. Film selection will vary based on flight routing. They will, of course, sell you a headset. Additional details can be found at http://www.ata.com/traveler_resources/inflight_services/meals.html

With respect to in-flight movies on AA, their website says: Free Entertainment on American Airlines! We offer complimentary entertainment on all audio/visual-equipped flights within the continental U.S., ... Hawaii.... Bring your favorite headset onboard to enjoy our award-winning programming or purchase* one onboard for $2.

Additional details can be found here. The flight may be long, but keep thinking that the next day you could wake up at home or wake up in Hawaii--you choose.

Thank you so much for the link to American Airlines section about the movies etc information. I didn't know all of that.

As well I didn't know that it wasn't Southwest flying to Hawaii, sorry to been so dumb, but what airlines is ATA.

Thanks,

Marcy

but what airlines is ATA.

ATA has been in operation some 33 years and is the 10th largest carrier in the US. However, they found themselves in bankrupcy in 2004 and Southwest's bid for its gate rights at Chicago Midway and other financial commitments was accepted. This led to a code sharing arrangements between the two airlines. In a major departure from its standard operating procedures, Southwest now interlines bags with ATA at many major airports. ATA's flights are also listed on Southwest's website and, most importantly, now provides a way for members of Rapid Rewards to book travel to Hawaii from the continental US. Go to their website for more information.

Sailed over in 2003 out of Ensanada MX, flew back on American. AA has some nice flights but going over no matter how you go is 8hrs in the air from Tn. Altho you will gain 5 hours when you land in Honolulu, but coming back it equals out to 13 hrs as you lose 5 hours. I found it nice especially if you have to change planes to fly out of St. Louis, or for you Nashville, change in Los Angeles or San Francisco with at least a layover of 1 hour going and maybe 1-2 hours coming back. California is the half way point in the flight. If you get a real early flight to Hawaii it's great. We flew back at night and therefore we slept to LAX and then we were in St. Louis by 2PM. It really helped with the jet lag also.

Good Luck!

I think that the flight going will seem longer than coming back, like driving somewhere, seems it takes you so long to get there cause your so excited.

I think that out connection will be in either Dallas or Chicago.

Going to keep checking airfare everyday hoping to find the price get cheaper AA is now at $677.00 plus tax so watching that right now. But I'm not going to wait to long to book, although I'm 8 months away yet.

Marcy

It may be cheaper for the OP to book two airlines, which would be essentially the same as booking the Southwest/ATA combo. And by booking two airlines it gives you a much needed break in LAX.

Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays often has very cheap packages-hotel AND AIR-at prices less than air only. The big discounts are usually out of LAX. If you don't need the hotel, just don't check in.

United often has specials from LAX to Hawaii. Within the last 3 months, I have seen prices as low as $325.00pp total from LAX. United Vacations and AA vacations often have packages that are as cheap as air alone.

Archived