Safety

billylen

It's absolutely safe, but IMO it's a long boring walk. Have you considered paying the $2.65 to take the Silver Line to South Station from right in front of the terminal?

Could you provide more details about your date and plans in Boston?

It's absolutely safe, but IMO it's a long boring walk....Could you provide more details about your date and plans in Boston?

Will be there on the 9th; I like to roam around and see what I see. To me th ebest way to get the "feel" a place is to walk its ground. But if its boring maybe your suggestion of taking local transit, at least until I find more interesting surroundings is a good one.

Will pick up (or download) a map to get my bearings before I get there.

Thanks for the suggestion!

It's perfectly safe to walk from the Black Falcon Terminal (in South Boston) to South Station (in downtown Boston). The walk is about a mile and a half, and takes about 30-40 minutes, mostly along Summer St. Or you can use the Silver Line bus, taking about 15-20 minutes.

If you want to walk around and see the tourist sights, South Station is a good access point. There isn't a lot of tourism on Summer St in South Boston (mostly commercial and industrial), but it's a fine walk, easy to navigate because it's largely a straight line, and there should be no safety issues.

It's a pretty dull walk through industrial areas on Summer St, but if you take Northern Ave you'll pass the Harpoon Brewery, the Harborside restaurants, and the Institute for Contemporary Art. The area was all industrial until recently and has seen major changes in the last decade, so you won't see any of historic Boston in that area.

If you want a compromise you can rent a hubway bike (weather permitting) from the kiosk near the port at Drydock Ave and Tide St and bike to the kiosk at South Station. There is a one-time $7/day fee to use the hubway bikes, plus usage fees for trips over 30 minutes. You'll also need your own helmet. There are enough kiosks that you can easily bike all day, stopping at kiosks every 25 minutes or so to return the bike and check out a new one, without any additional fees. See http://www.thehubway.com/stations for more info.

It's a pretty dull walk through industrial areas on Summer St, but if you take Northern Ave you'll pass the Harpoon Brewery, the Harborside restaurants, and the Institute for Contemporary Art. The area was all industrial until recently and has seen major changes in the last decade, so you won't see any of historic Boston in that area.

If you want a compromise you can rent a hubway bike (weather permitting) from the kiosk near the port at Drydock Ave and Tide St and bike to the kiosk at South Station. There is a one-time $7/day fee to use the hubway bikes, plus usage fees for trips over 30 minutes. You'll also need your own helmet. There are enough kiosks that you can easily bike all day, stopping at kiosks every 25 minutes or so to return the bike and check out a new one, without any additional fees. See http://www.thehubway.com/stations for more info.

Great points!... I highly suggest a Harpoon tour, the new tasting room is outstanding http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/breweries/boston/brewery-tours. I used to walk that loop (route) during lunch when I worked for State Street.