recommended tour companies for Rome

My husband and I will be on the same sailing and are finalizing our research (with some help from a firend of mine who lives in Bologna, Italy.)

If we are travel compatible, we might be interested in sharing a tour with you.

You can email me straight away at cfomac@aol.com

We just got back from Brilliance a week ago - used Daniele with driverinrome - e-mail - info.driverinrome.com - would highly recommend his services. They have several drivers besides Daniele - he is owner's son, born in Toronto, wonderful English. You would not be disappointed.

We used Max Liotta in May and had a fabulous day - maxleotta@tiscali.it

I highly recommend his services. There was a strike that day and he rearranged our route to ensure that we saw everthing we wanted. He was very interesting and informative and we will definitely use him when we return to Rome again.

Linda

I don't know what kind of time frame you have, but we used Green Line tours (just off via Corso). http://www.romeguide.it/greenline/greenline_eng.htm

We used them in '02 for a half-day tour of Ostia Antica (GREAT) and Naples/Pompeii (very good).

I believe they also have a "hop on, hop off" plan. Take a look! http://www.shop.viator.com/brochure/product_show.jsp?ID=1010&PRODUCTID=1016&CODE=2390GRESHUTT

If you don't have time for Pompeii or Herculaneum, Ostia Antica is a great substitute.

I am communicating with Claudio. It appears that although his tour is less money, the hours are also less - 7+ hours as compared to some other guides. Was this a problem? Did you feel that you were rushed? Thanks for any thoughts about this.

We didn't feel rushed at all. I was glad that he did not try to get us back to the cruise ship at the last minute. I think I had emailed him that we did not expect to see everything in Florence and Rome and would rather take in fully what we did see. He picked us up at the ship about 8:00am both days (maybe a little earlier for Rome) and we were back at the ship about 5 or 5:30; it was a long enough day for us. Claudio is not a license guide, but he did stroll around with us where he could and gave us plenty of insight. Hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions.

Happy Sailing.

Thanks so much for answering. I think that I will book Claudio. Did you do a tour in Naples? Who did you use.

Is there anyone out there who is traveling on the Millennium leaving Venice on 8/1/04 who is interested in sharing a tour? Let me know.

We didn't feel rushed at all. I was glad that he did not try to get us back to the cruise ship at the last minute. I think I had emailed him that we did not expect to see everything in Florence and Rome and would rather take in fully what we did see. He picked us up at the ship about 8:00am both days (maybe a little earlier for Rome) and we were back at the ship about 5 or 5:30; it was a long enough day for us. Claudio is not a license guide, but he did stroll around with us where he could and gave us plenty of insight. Hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions.

Happy Sailing.

havin fun,

See you found the post--or maybe you weren't talking to me on the last thread. We did you a tour guide in Naples--I think it was sorrentolimo.com. Gennaro was our driver and very good. He set up an English speaking guide for us in Pompei; she was 100E extra.

Here's another vote for Daniele's operation "Driver in Rome", also known as Executive Limousine. We used them last August for Rome and for Florence/Pisa. Both were superb experiences all around. I have not heard one bad comment from anyone regarding this operation. The costs are cheaper than ship's excursions, even if you have only 4 people sharing, and is a much better experience than the "herding factor" on a bus tour.

ENJOY YOUR TRIP!

We just returned from the Galaxy and stayed in Rome for 2 days prior and one day after the cruise. We used Daniele's Executive Limousine ("driverinrome.com"). Daniele picked us up at the airport for transport to our hotel. Aldo was there bright and early the next am for our tour around Rome - we saw more than we thought possible and yet felt like we had plenty of time at each site. The second day, Daniele showed us some incredible churches, then one of the catacombs ( Callista) as well as Castelgandolfo - the summer residence of the pope in a lovely town outside of Rome.

He had one of his drivers transport us to the ship as well as pick us up after the cruise.

We had a wonderful experience with this organization and highly recommend their services.

Daniele and Aldo were each a wealth of information and fun to be with.

pls email if you have any questions.

Susan

For Rome, here's a hearty endorsement for one of Claudio's colleagues, Carlo. Claudio was already booked so he recommended Carlo. My family can not stop talking about how fabulous Carlo was. He grew up in Rome so he knows all the little nooks and crannies which is especially helpful when he's weaving through the little streets avoiding traffic. His english is great especially since he previously worked for American Express for 10 years.

We were picked up at 8:00 am and dropped off at 6:00 pm. We were never rushed and we keep describing it as the perfect day on our entire cruise. Carlo took us all over Rome and included the elements that we really wanted such as a local coffee experience, the best gelato, and going to my uncle's favorite pizza place near the Trevi fountain.

Through the whole day Carlo looked cool in his suit and was the total gentleman helping us in and out of the Mercedes minivan at every stop. Carlo can be reached through Claudio at http://www.limoinrome.com.

TropicalFlyer :cool:

Archived