Seabourn Odyssey V4 suite on Deck 8?

cruisemuse

I just read something about a "glass floor/ceiling" on the balconies of V4 cabins on Deck 8 of Odyssey. It said something about being able to see the captain direct the ship..?? What is this all about? Do the V4 cabins indeed have a glass ceiling? This would certainly affect privacy, wouldn't it? Maybe this is why the forward cabins on Deck 8 are less expensive than the forward cabins on Deck 7?

I'd love to get more information about this. I don't think I want the captain looking down on my veranda!

I am wondering about the floor to ceiling glass and wonder if it's really that the balcony railings have flashing about 1/2 of the way up, the top part is clear. Not an issue for many but a deal breaker for some (like me). I think this is found in V4 & V5. There is documentation of this but it's not too prevalent. When the Odyssey was being built, a friend took some photos and we could see how it would be.

We stayed in that room. It's 802 and 803 on the big three ships. Out on the balcony, if you look up, there's a 2 foot by 1 foot glass "window" on your ceiling. This is also the bridge's floor. Sometimes you can see the white bottoms to a mate's shoes and presumably they can see you while you are on your balcony. The window is so they can see the corner of the ship.

There's no real reason to avoid these rooms. Their layout is the same size but slightly differently configured than other V suites. They are at the end of the hallway farther from midships so you walk a little farther, but they are small ships anyway.

The balcony is slightly smaller due to the curvature of the ship. The overhang over the balcony (which is the bridge floor) is a little bigger, blocking more sunlight I suppose.

Nothing about it bothered us.

• 1 year later...

We have just been on an 18 day cruise and were in cabin 803 on Seabourn Odyssey. We had a V4 guarantee and then were given this cabin. We were upset at first as most visuals show the cabin as being smaller but it wasn't. It does have a different layout to the other cabins as the walk in robe is on the other side of the entrance hallway so it does have exactly the same space. The balcony is also a standard size - it's not smaller as someone mentioned in this forum.

With this cabin layout is that in addition to the normal roof on the outside deck, the roof space extends out further as you are directly under the bridge and yes there is a small clear window in this roof space where you occasionally see the bottom of someone's foot. We were wondering if someone could look down through the window to see us on the deck - but that's not likely to happen unless the captain decides to lay down on the edge of the bridge and press his face against the glass and tries to angle his view to our deck! There are however two cameras that hang under this roof area and we did wonder if they could be positioned towards our deck and our cabin. We did ask assurance about this and were told the view from the deck is simply along the length of the ship as it's used when they're docking that's all. Also the reality is the cabins all have glass whereby it's really quite hard to look inside from the outside so if you were naked in your cabin, the camera outside is not going to be able to see even if it could be focussed on that cabin.

But I did find some positives with this cabin. The entrance to it is alongside the owner's suite which is at the very front of the ship. And this is in a more private hallway. That means you're not opening up your suite door into a public corridor - which is a big plus. Also given announcements on board are not heard in one's cabin (unless you're switched the right channel on your TV), we often opened up the door of our suite to hear the various annoucements about events, docking etc - and you could do so easily (and just with a robe on) as you weren't opening the door into a corridor where other guests could see you.

Also, when you are on your deck as you're right in the front of the ship, you get a more panoramic view since you're next to a huge suite (Owner's suite) that has a balcony that wraps around the front of the ship. So we felt we had a much broader and more panoramic outlook esp when coming into a port.

To be perfectly honest, I think if we were to book another trip, we'd actually request this cabin (or the matching one on the other side). Also Deck 8 is ideal!! It's the pool deck (and going to and from the pool is when you're most likely to be in your most casual coverup), and it's also the level where The Colonnade restaurant is - where is where you'll be having breakfast. So that means no stairs or elevators - just a walk along Level 8. We just loved being on this level!

2085693975_On-Board(81).jpg.ac7a93cd2648448ad6234419edde33ea.jpg

659707360_On-Board(132).jpg.afc3926594a88b4edb06da6eabbd5e04.jpg

1564915795_Langkawi_6Nov2014_fromMohan.jpg.82955dda7c2b17b0f789078524fbc847.jpg

2090677326_On-Board(129).jpg.6c5134948ae28d7f57c74474336e91f7.jpg