Looking for opinions.

CanDMan47

I'm heading to three ports in the Caribbean at the beginning of the year. I'm one of 8. Six adults, and a 14 & 16 year old. We have more than three things we want to do, lol, of course, and we're narrowing them down. One thing we all agree on, though, is at one port we want to see the island from the non traditional excursions. I know that is a now common thing, and it's even become more touristy and commercial, itself. But knowing this, going in to it, which of the these three ports would be the best to try to be more immersed in the local stuff. Safety is of the utmost concern, by the way. Our choices are Cozumel, Grand Caymans, and Montego Bay. We are not opposed to hiring a driver/guide for the day, if he/she is good and fun, and not compensated by local businesses to bring us to their places, instead of true recommendations of local cuisine, shopping, site seeing, and other fun we wouldn't think about.

So which port of thise three is the one we should plan to explore? And if you've got time, why is it your choice? And finally, are there good guides I should try to hook up with before going?

Thanks all.

John

Hi John,

All beautiful islands in their own right.

Regarding Jamaica, we stayed in a boutique hotel in MoBay and had a private driver that took us to many other areas on day and night trips. Excellent way to experience Jamaica and the people, but you definitely want a good guide who knows these areas. I would not recommend this for a cruise stop because you simply don't have enough time.

For MoBay I'd highly recommend Doctor's Cave Beach, amazing beach that's maintained and patrolled by the police ($5pp entry fee if I remember). Margaritaville is just steps from the gate and has a fast slide into the ocean if you're up for that :eek: There are nice shops a short stroll away as well. I would avoid downtown MoBay and just grab a taxi to the beach or wherever else you choose.

Grand Cayman is a pretty island and has amazing beaches (SMB and Rum Point, for ex). But not the best choice for a tour in my opinion. We'd highly recommend a day on jet skis with Fat Fish Adventures, a smaller outfit that locals use and a more personalized excursion than with the typical outfits.

Cozumel is the winner in our opinon - we don't know any guides there because we rent a car and drive, but if you post that question in the Cozumel forum on tripadvisor (or just search the forum) you'll get several recommendations.

The drive along the west coast to the southern tip brings you to some very nice beaches and beach bars, and coming back up along the east coast you see the raw beauty of that coast. You can then tour San Miguel and have a great lunch at one of the out of the way places.

Happy cruising! :)