West Whale Bay

hoosier1971

We will be in Bermuda next week and would like to do some whale watching. What is the best time of day to watch the whales migrate? We were going to book a tour but our ship's itinerary just got changed and this option is out.

I have this question also. Hopefully someone will respond. We will be in Bermuda on the Summit April 30 and May 1 and we are wondering about seeing the whales. I read somewhere on the boards you could see them from St David's lighthouse, but I also read where that may be closed for repairs.

Does anyone have information about seeing the whales in Bermuda, Best time, please, etc.

I don't know if the Bermuda cruise season just starting up has anything to do with the almost over whale migration or not. Historically, there has been very little discussion here about whale watching and I can't remember anyone posting that they went and saw any. Bermuda just doesn't seem to be known for whale watching.

There are some videos on YouTube by people who have seen them. Wish some of the Bermuda residents who post here would show up with some information.

Edited by iheartbda

Check out http://www.whalesbermuda.com

Info from the site:

During spring many of the North Atlantic population of migrating whales come by Bermuda. As an isolated seamount in the middle of the ocean, Bermuda provides a unique opportunity to study northern hemisphere humpback whales during their open water crossings. Starting late February until mid-May, humpback whales can be seen on the Sally Tucker and Challengere seamounts some two to fifteen miles offshore. They can also be seen just off the South Shore as close as the breakers, the ring of reefs that are often just a hundred yards from our pink beaches. It’s not unusual to see a breaching 45-foot 45-ton humpback whale emerge completely out of the water just on the other side of the breakers.