Question on Hanoi

Gerioo1

Just back from Celebrity Millennium. We took a private tour into Hanoi. Bus trip was 3hrs on the way there, but a stop off at a lacquer factory, which took a half hr. Did not mind this stop. Restrooms, and did purchase a couple of small things. Hesitant re the long ride, but the time did go quickly. Lots to look at (constant) along the way. Traffic slows this trip down, as in most ports. We would def do this again, as Hanoi is quite different to the rest of the port stops. Arrived back to ship just after 7pm. Second day we did a 4hr Halong Bay junk tour, also private. Felt this was ample time to see this beautiful area, and glad we chose to see both areas instead of full day junk tour.

Thanks for all the information.

We are debating on taking a private tour or go with the cruise line.

We would like to do private, but worried about being back to ship on time.

This is why we did the longer tours on the first day, as ship stays overnight. The gangway is open all night long for latecomers. We noticed that the large coaches arrived back around the same time as us, some an hour or so later (esp Bangkok). I would imagine that once in the cities (like Hanoi), coach travel would be much slower, hence perhaps a lesser time at attractions. Of course the decision is up to you. Go with whatever feels best. Have a great cruise!

Hi,

We don't get into Halong Bay until 1 PM, so we have to go to Hanoi the second day. We are concerned about the long lines for the tenders. I think we are still leaning toward the private tours. There is so much wasted time with the big buses.

Thanks for all your help.

I didn't realise you were on the northbound cruise. We did southbound. This is just my solitary 're-vamped' opinion...perhaps others could answer.

Based on this new info, if it was me, I would go for a ship tour on this day. The risk of missing the ship would make for an uneasy tour. All our private operators were fabulous, but Hanoi is quite a distance, and once you actually see the traffic and road conditions, you will understand. It is just the one busy road into Hanoi, becoming more congested as the day goes on. If it rained on the way back to ship, it will def slow things down even more. If there was an accident I could imagine the holdup would be time consuming.

The tenders were quick and well organised on our cruise. We used Stephen at Bestcruises for all Vietnam tours. Professional and well organised. Perhaps an email to some private, reputable companies asking re times, may assist in your decision.

We did this tour in 2013 and also used Stephen of "Best Tours" --now renamed as "Private Vietnam Tours". We had lots of traffic issues on the way to Hanoi but were still back in plenty of time. Stephan also arranged tours for us on Halong Bay & in HCMC & everything was brilliant. We didnt stay overnight in Hanoi but if possible would recommend you do this to get maximum time in the city on day 2 .

A steady stream more than bumper to bumper, until you get say a half hr out of Hanoi. Then the road becomes dual lane rather than the single lane. Homes are built on both sides along most of the route, with the occasional town. You will see more scooters than cars. It is just the one road in and out. The traffic is reasonably heavy in Hanoi, but amazingly seems to flow very well. Crossing the street is an art. Keep with the guide, and go when he does, and do not hesitate, stop or step backwards. The scooter riders will somehow avoid you. They seem to have this down to a fine art! You will see traffic on 'your' side of the road at times, but again they have this uncanny skill of avoidance. The road is quite bumpy until you get to the dual lane section, but all our tour vans were in great condition and modern. One was a Lexus van by memory. An interesting ride, with lots to see and photograph along the way. You will have a giggle at what they manage to carry on these scooters.

The drive into Bangkok from Laem Chabang is way more congested than Hanoi trip, with more cars and lots of trucks (container port).

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain everything to me. I am going with the ship's tour because of the distance to Hanoi.

I really appreciate all your help.

Thanks again.