What to do with a 4 yr old and an 8 yr old

Sawdec

We are traveling on the epic in November and I was curious what I could do with my young children. The baths is out of the picture. We like the beach and would prefer something easy to get to. We are doing a ship excursion in St thomas to coral world.

The kids will really enjoy Coral World in Coki Point Beach, and Coki Beach is a gorgeous little beach to enjoy after if you can. The beach gets crowded as people come in and it's a lively vibe but a nice day!

For Tortola, a beach is probably the best option as you said. The open-sided safari taxis are like those on St Thomas and there are also now fully-enclosed bus types, these will take you to one of the two popular beaches, Cane Garden Bay, or Brewers Bay. Brewers has 1 beach bar with "rustic" restrooms and is in a smaller bay, while Cane Garden Bay is home to several beach bars and restaurants and sees the majority of the ship passengers so it gets busy there. The taxi for either beach is $16pp roundtrip for adults, both kids will be 1/2 fare. Taxis will return to both beaches to pick you and others up.

Another beach option is Long Bay (Tortola). The Long Bay Beach Club is a resort there with rooms on the beach and there is a restaurant with restrooms and lounges on the beach for $5pp. There is a small pool and it's not normally offered to day visitors but they may offer to let the kids enjoy it. Long Bay is a picture postcard, nice long walking beach where the kids would enjoy watching pelicans dive. It can be a little rougher than the other beaches, but nice views and fewer people from the ship. Taxi there is $24/adult roundtrip, 1/2 fare for the kids. You'll want to ask the driver to return for you, they will typically let you pay after returning you to the dock. You can also call a taxi from the restaurant. The drive to Long Bay is not as hilly and winding as to the other beaches, one smaller hill as you go over Zion Hill Road to the North Shore Rd.

Hope that helps! :)

Edited by blue_water

Meant to include a map so you can see the location of the beaches and the cruise dock in Road Town.

http://www.skyviews.com/bviold/tortola/map.html

You can see that you cross over the spine of the island to get to Brewers and CGB so it is very steep in some areas. The drive to Long Bay (Tortola) is along the south shore which is flat, and you cross over Zion Hill which is a much shorter crossing and less hilly. The ride to CGB and Brewers isn't terrible, just a new experience for some folks :p.

If you want something more there are drivers at the dock offering great island tours with a beach/lunch stop (you pay for lunch) for $25pp which is a nice day too. Not sure about child safety seats but the nice folks at the visitor center can answer any questions you have.

We just got back from Tortola...Cane Garden Bay is beautiful! We had 5 kids ages 7-10 and they loved it! The water is clear and calm, perfect for everyone. Easy to get a taxi there, plenty of food/drink/beach chairs available for everyone. Clean bathrooms! Enjoy!!

We just got back from Tortola...Cane Garden Bay is beautiful! We had 5 kids ages 7-10 and they loved it! The water is clear and calm, perfect for everyone. Easy to get a taxi there, plenty of food/drink/beach chairs available for everyone. Clean bathrooms! Enjoy!!

Random question--but did you notice if any of the shops on Cane Garden Bay sold beach toys? Will be there 1 week from today!

Random question--but did you notice if any of the shops on Cane Garden Bay sold beach toys? Will be there 1 week from today!

Darn! I wish I could remember!! I'm not 100% sure, they might have....sorry. They did have a lot of stuff.....we weren't looking so I can't be positive. We brought our own. I got some blow up boogie boards at the $1 store...easy to pack!