Winter Maiden Voyages?!

JohnEZ

You know, thinking about things... QM2 was delivered in December, 2003. QV is being handed over in December, 2007. Both ships have made/will be making their maiden voyages in the winter--and this begs the question, why?

I've always understood summer to be the height of the travel season. Why has this been deemed a less-than-ideal time for a maiden voyage?

The only thing I can think of is that, perhaps, they'd like to work out the bugs before the travel season. What's your take on this?

Thanks!

One can think of many reasons though I certainly do not know what Carnival's real objective is.

You already mentioned working out bugs.

Another potential reason you gave by saying summer was height of the travel season. Thus ships will easily fill in the summer while the special allure of maiden voyages helps to create demand in an otherwhile less desired travel time.

Also marketing might be easier. You have special bochures and a special marketing campaigne for the maiden voyages, after that you fit in the common booking circle - one brochure for each year and one full year of testing all seasons, sailing to various destinations.

There might even be financial reasons that make it advisable to take over (and pay?) a ship at year's end, than having one year to determine the profit.

I am sure there are more.

... And we all want to go off to the Frozen Capitals of Europe.

Notice also that unlike many other new ships, QV will come to the US full of passegers and continue on. Other new ships have days sitting in port giving the agent community a chance to tour and see the new ship. QV, if they do that, there will be a significant passenger presence as they have an open house. AND then after they leave the west coast, QV will not visit the US again until (memory failing) the end of 08 or early 09.

Archived