table for 2 on QM2

fizzy1

I know there ARE tables for 2 i n the Britania restaurant onboard QM2, what is the knack of getting one? is it who bookes the cruise earliest and requests a table, once they have been assiengned that's it, or who gets to dinner first, or is it just pot luck, fizzy1

We have the same request on QM2. However we were told by Cunard to ensure to see the Maître D after embarkation to verify. I'm told that they will accomodate you:)

I'm also anxious to see. We've never been disappointed in all of our cruises.

I know there ARE tables for 2 i n the Britania restaurant onboard QM2, what is the knack of getting one? is it who bookes the cruise earliest and requests a table, once they have been assiengned that's it, or who gets to dinner first, or is it just pot luck, fizzy1

It's a bit of all of those, with a few secret ingredients thrown in.

My wife and I always get a table for two. (This is Queens' Grill on QE2) and it is always the same table. That's because we're known. And we're easy going.

Regulars make arrangements on board - at least at Grill level they do. Those will take absolute priority. Then I suppose they'll look at how many want what, and try their best to fit everyone in.

Their aim is 100% happy diners. Your aim is to get what you want. You're both working towards the same aim, so hopefully things will be okay.

(Having said that, I spoke to the Maitre'D on the Queens' Grill on embarkation day when we were with my mother, and he'd assumed we'd want a table for three. Wrongly as it happened, but a decision that we were going to stick with, as we'd already decided. His look of worry when I approached was only matched by his look of relief when I said I wasn't looking to change! It isn't easy for them.)

I think if you're reasonable, and fast getting to the dining room, then you'll be fine. It isn't your right to have a table for two, and you're "competing" with those who will regard their wish as a "right". Think who you'd give the table to - that nice couple who asked so nicely or that arrogant couple who expected you to ask "how high" when they said "jump".

Best of luck anyway - and if you can't get a two, go for a six. I've had three tables like that for the three trips I've done on my own and had a ball each time.

Matthew

There aren't that many tables for two in the Britannia Restaurant. Most of them are on the balcony on the upper level where we were. I understand that the allocation is not guaranteed and is only a requst but see the Maitre D' if you're not happy with your dining allocation. The best time to go is on the afternoon of embarkation not at dinner time.

Have a good cruise.

Eddie

There aren't that many tables for two in the Britannia Restaurant. Most of them are on the balcony on the upper level where we were. I understand that the allocation is not guaranteed and is only a requst but see the Maitre D' if you're not happy with your dining allocation. The best time to go is on the afternoon of embarkation not at dinner time.

Have a good cruise.

Eddie

I went down within about half an hour of boarding. Just to inspect the scene. I was met by a charming young lady, and the afternoon improved greatly once I discovered that she was to be one of our waiting staff! I didn't have a problem to solve, but there were staff there ready to assist if need be.

Matthew

thanks all for your replys, i'll go down after we have embarked as its our silver wedding anniversery holiday and also my husbands first cruise and i am an absolute sweety hopefully with a bit of smilling and twinkling in my i , we may be lucky!!!fizzy1

Matthew, we are in Queens Grill on the QM2 in November and our on-line confirmation says "Table for 4, 2 Requested". In your experience are we likely to be lucky (we've never sailed Cunard before). I guess they are hedging their bets to see what others request, as we are in a Q7 Guaranatee. From reading your post, I guess our best option would to go and see the Maitre D asap and see what he's got for us. Normally we prefer bigger tables but I don't think they have many large tables in the Grill. We had a Table for 4 recently and although we made the best of things, it was hard going - really nice couple but intellectually they were way above me (John held his own) We found that we didn't look forward to dinner at night. Any advice would be really appreciated. Sue

Sue,

Aren't you going on the Nov. 20, 2007, cruise? We don't want you sitting up there by yourselves unless you just absolutely insist upon it. You need to spread your good cheer around.....

Laura

Matthew, we are in Queens Grill on the QM2 in November and our on-line confirmation says "Table for 4, 2 Requested". In your experience are we likely to be lucky (we've never sailed Cunard before). I guess they are hedging their bets to see what others request, as we are in a Q7 Guaranatee. From reading your post, I guess our best option would to go and see the Maitre D asap and see what he's got for us. Normally we prefer bigger tables but I don't think they have many large tables in the Grill. We had a Table for 4 recently and although we made the best of things, it was hard going - really nice couple but intellectually they were way above me (John held his own) We found that we didn't look forward to dinner at night. Any advice would be really appreciated. Sue

Sue,

Difficult I'm afraid. I don't know the Queens' Grill on QM2 - my experience has been on QE2 where there are a number of larger tables.

My own feeling is that a table for four is the worst option for a couple - you want either two or six+. I'm sure if you are flexible with this - in other words ask for anything but a four, but ideally a two, that the Maitre'D will be able to do something. There are a lot of tables for two in the Queens' Grill on QM2 though - like everyone I've peered through the glass when the restaurant is closed.

I do hope it works out for you. Having said that it has always worked out for me - when I'm with my wife we have "our" table, and otherwise I've been on tables where there has been a lovely variety.

Matthew

Sue,

Aren't you going on the Nov. 20, 2007, cruise? We don't want you sitting up there by yourselves unless you just absolutely insist upon it. You need to spread your good cheer around.....

Laura

Yes, Laura we are on the 20th Nov sailing - don't worry we'll be pretty active in keeping ourselves integrated! We'd just rather have a table for 2 as we will eat at the same table for every meal in the Grill. If we get on with our tablemates, it would be great, but if we didn't ...............! We're keeping our fingers crossed.

Matthew - thanks for your help. Looking at the Queens Grill layout there does not appear to be many bigger tables. I must agree with you that a table for 8 is a lot more appealing than a table for 4.

Sue

My wife and I have just returned from a back to back transatlantic to New York. We were in an A1 category balcony cabin, thus assigned to the Britannia.

Before sailing we emailed Cunard to request a table for 2, with the usual result - your request has been passed to the ship.

On arrival in our cabin, we found the card with our assignment on and it was unfortunately a table for 4.

The Maitre D is available at the entrance of the Britannia restaurant on Deck 2 from 1pm on boarding days and this is the ideal time to request a change.

I was there at that time (nobody else about) and without any hesitation he changed us to a table for 2. He was polite and helpful.

As others have said there are several 2's on Deck 3 on the balcony, but on Deck 2 there are also several scattered around.

Incidentally, if you are seated in the Britannia and you want a table for 2 at Breakfast or Lunch (Open seatings) , you enter the restaurant on Deck 2 and are directed to tables by the Duty Head Waiter. If you ask hime for a table for 2 at this point you most certainly will be obliged.

WE had a table for 2 for every single meal and were very satisfied.

The service from all the staff in this restaurant we found to be excellent.

WE did eat in Todd English one night, but would not repeat the experience or even recommend it. The sevice was not up the standard we experienced elsewhere and the food, both starter and main course, had to be sent back as it was not cooked to our request. (The tables in here are also more squashed in.)

Thanks everyone for your replies.. My DW and I have asked for a table for two since we are celebrating an anniversary.... We will definitely make it a point to see the Maitre D' as soon as possible after boarding. Last year on the HAL Noordam we booked early, as we did for this cruise, requested a table for two since we were departing on our special event day and were pleasantly disappointed :( - We were seated at a table for four.... Our table mates where wonderful but we were anticipating a time for the two of us to share our evening meal and celebrate our special event. Will definitely make the Britannia a prime stop on embarkation!

Thanks everyone for your replies.. My DW and I have asked for a table for two since we are celebrating an anniversary.... We will definitely make it a point to see the Maitre D' as soon as possible after boarding. Last year on the HAL Noordam we booked early, as we did for this cruise, requested a table for two since we were departing on our special event day and were pleasantly disappointed :( - We were seated at a table for four.... Our table mates where wonderful but we were anticipating a time for the two of us to share our evening meal and celebrate our special event. Will definitely make the Britannia a prime stop on embarkation!

Have a Happy Anniversary!

Last month we went on a cruise to celebrate our wedding anniversary. In August we are going again for 60th birthday.

We have a whole bunch of excuses to embark on a cruise and we enjoy spending our children inheritance.

Same as you we want a table for 2 to spend precious moments with my spouse. So far we've never been disappointed.... We'll see!!

Archived