Art Deco "Cruise" Packing List

tmee

Art Deco “Cruise” packing list

So as much time as I spent on creating my wardrobe I wanted to share it with you guys.  Earlier this month I went on an Art Deco “cruise” on board the Queen Mary moored Long beach. So technically it wasn’t a moving ship, but it counts right?  But the great thing about it is that it was Art Deco themed so music events, lectures, deck parties, Teas, dinner, tastings, and tours all had an Art Deco theme and many, many, many of the participants dressed in that time period. Well, all I can say, modern day cruisers, as the queen of light packing… I cannot imagine living in the 1930s because I would need to have a staff to carry all of my stuff ;)

So here is my packing list and this was only for a weekend… I can’t imagine a crossing on the original Queen Mary or any journey longer than 3 days 

I need to say that my original plan and packing list was much more extensive (as I have been planning this for quite some time) but at the very last minute my plans changed and I needed to cancel … then at the absolutely very last possible moment (the night before) I realized I would be able to go, but only for two days not the full four day event. So I cheated a lot with the shoes and accessories. So this packing list below is for TWO days only, but full days (48 hrs +)!!!!! This list below is just the outwardly visible clothing this does not include, undergarments, hosiery, or sleepwear. Nor does it include toiletries or make up.

DAY ONE

TRAVEL CLOTHING:

White linen pants, black and white silk wrapped blouse

Accessories: matching jewelry, gloves,a small hat, small handbag, late 1930s style black shoes (these shoes were great, but they met with a small accident towards the end of the day so I had to wear another pair of shoes more than I would have liked to)

AFTERNOON DECK PARTY DANCE AND PICNIC:

Green silk chiffon dress

Accessories: Jewelry, silk head scarf, sunglasses. Purse. vintage style shoes in a neutral shade (these were the shoes I had to wear the rest of the time as my others were damaged)

EVENING:

Cream Chiffon gown

Accessories: Jewels, long satin cream gloves, cream chiffon wrap, jeweled head piece the afore mentioned vintage style shoes, beaded purse

Um truth be told I fell asleep. I was so tired... I got dressed and said I would just close my eyes for a little bit, but I woke up and it was 2am and my make-up was somewhere between my face and pillow cover I brought (it was comforting to know even stationary ships prompt this behavior in me :D)

DAY TWO:

MORNING:

simple blue patterned cotton 1930s styled dress

Accessories:

Belt, Bracelet, necklace, gloves (I went hatless, I know for shame) those same shoes…. :) handbag

AFTERNOON TEA DANCE:

Tea length silk black and white polka dot chiffon dress, white bolero jacket

Accessories:

Necklace, bracelet, gloves, small hat, purse

I also packed a dress for the EVENING PARTY AND DINNER

Twenties style mauve silk chiffon with sequins

Accessories:

Jeweled head pieces, matching jewelry, black gloves, hand bag and twenties style shoes with black satin bows

TRAVEL HOME CLOTHING:

Brown and white cotton dress with brown shrug

Accessories: Jewelry (no hat, gloves) small handbag

But my flight home was delayed and I was afraid I would miss my connecting flight. So, I left early to see if I could get an earlier flight. Which meant that I didn’t wear the last two outfits and ended up flying, hanging out in the airport and traveling in my “tea wear”  …for twelve hours :D that too was an interesting experience!

I don’t think I have EVER carried so many things for such a short trip, but it was a lot of fun and was worth it! But I don’t think I will complain about having to pack my modern clothing sans accessories for awhile :D

tmee

So I thought I would try to upload photos... of the wide range of outfits...and interpretation

ecee4bc9-0b08-418a-8a83-3c04fea17053_zpsqq7qfiha.jpg

9d2a5e8b-67c2-46d8-8984-40d16637a91a_zpsmt71puuf.jpg

7f4377ac-eee3-4409-b182-49dff822f469_zpsi7iez9ey.jpg

079ac1df-dc1a-433f-b93f-ffc8bc156439_zpsjpfpvckx.jpg

f060723e-75fe-44fe-8648-189b71dc9003_zpsrtc66jry.jpg

This was just early on... later in the day people became more festive :) with gowns, etc..

Can you guys imagine packing and traveling with all of the hats, furs, parasols on a seven day cruise?

tmee

What a fun event! Although I am one who still enjoys dressing for dinner on a cruise, I must admit I do repeat outfits and mix and match. It would not have "been done" to repeat outfits back then. It's no wonder people traveled with trunks!:eek: