St. Maarten Scoot Coupe excursion

Hidden Minnie

Has anyone done the Scoot Coupes in St. Maarten? We are on the Allure in June, and are considering it for our family - me, my 6'4" husband and our 16-year-old daughter. Daughter is bummed that she would not be able to drive :rolleyes:. I am wondering whether it feel safe to be driving what appears to be a fancy golf cart in traffic, and whether my husband will be able to fit. Will we see enough of the island to feel it is a good use of our time?

Husband has done the sailboat racing before and loved it, and would like to do it again this cruise, but I always feel like I should see more of the islands we are visiting.

Thanks!

Just me - some people seem to love them - but I do not think the Scoot Coupes are safe on the roads of Sint Maarten. Also, you travel in a convoy without independent freedom to stop where and how long you want. If you want to drive in Sint Maarten/St Martin, I strongly suggest renting a car - if it is your first time, you probably will find that exciting enough.

We rented something similar in Newport, Rhode Island. It was fun, but a little scary being on the road in such a little thing alongside normal sized cars.

My dh is a big guy, about 6' 1" and it was a tight fit both height and width-wise with 2 people. They are also kind of hard to get into since they don't have doors. Due to knee surgery, I can't bend my knee all the way on one leg and had trouble getting in and out.

Other than that, we all thought it was fun.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

Wanted go chime in here. We did the scoot coupes in November on the Liberty and had a horrible time. The little cars were cool when they worked. You travel in a line with a guide in the front and a guide behind, and being in the traffic was weird at first but the locals look out for the little cars. The guides also block traffic around traffic circles, etc. They can go like 35-40 mph but with no windshields, we kept getting hit in the face with like sand. I had sunglasses but my son did not, and he had his head down the whole time.

My husband's car died right from the start, and once we got him a replacement, mine died. My son &I were on the side of the road for about 45 minutes while the guide went to go get someone who could fix it. The group waited for us, and in the end, she gave us 15 more minutes of beach time. There were locals harassing people to buy things, braid hair, etc and the people who worked the beach would run them off. Bathrooms were clean though.

Kinda thought 15 minutes of beach time didn't equate to 45 minutes being stuck. Carnival gave us our money back. We told them they needed to inspect the cars because things like the horns didn't work on all the cars, the brake lights didn't go on, etc.

So if they've taken them off, it's a blessing. If the cars were maintained, it would have been a lot of fun!

Shawn