Hawaii excursions for gay travelers

BearlyRob

It's a great beach but it's a long way from Lahaina, it's 1-1.5 hours once you're in the car. There's only one road connecting the west side to the south side. If there's an accident, mudslide or brush fire you could be stuck for hours. How long are you in port?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That's a good amount of time. I'd play it safe and leave little beach by 2pm. If you want to stay on the west side (Lahaina), I'd suggest renting snorkel gear and going to Honolua bay. It's my favorite snorkel spot. Star Noodle is a great place for lunch (owner was on Top Chef).

Unfortunately my three kids and husband keep my schedule pretty full...no time to play tour guide here!! Enjoy your trip...let me know if you have other questions or need other suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey There. We did Little Beach a few years ago off of a Princess Cruise. We actually had time to go to both to the Ritz Carlton to visit a friend, Stop at the Hilton and have Lunch and go to Little Beach. We got an early start and got back in time for the ship without issue. Remember when you get to little beach that you need to climb up over the hill or you aren't really there so be prepared for a little hike.

On the Big Island we did a Helicopter tour up to the Volcano and it was AWESOME. Very Friendly tour all together. http://www.bluehawaiian.com/

We booked independently and rented a car and drove around the Hilo area and up to the craters and rain forest after the tour and it was great. Easy drive and didn't need a guide. Rented a convertible on each island and it was a blast.

On Oahu we have done the Arizona and WWII stuff previously so we didn't need to do it this time. If you haven't done that it is worth the experience. Since we were in port from 7 AM till 11 PM this time we got a room at the Royal Hawaiian and hung out there for a good part of the day. I know this sounds extravagant but it was great to be able to hang out on the beach and have a place to relax and change and possibly entertain a new friend or two that we met along the way. :p We were also able to change for a dinner in town without having to go all the way back out to the ship. It was worth it. Get the cheapest room at any of the hotels on the beach and it would work. The Hilton Hawaiian Village is pretty nice as well.

All together we find Hawaii to be very Gay friendly and have had no negative experiences anywhere on the island. I hope this helps you plan a fun trip!

Like RMorningglory said, most, if not all tours and general activities here are pretty low key and gay friendly. I've lived on Oahu my entire life and my late partner and I have never experienced anything otherwise.

Activity-wise, it just really depends on what king of things you're interested in.

Since you'll be in port on Oahu for the entire day/evening, renting a car and driving to the north shore for the day would be nice. It's still winter surf season here so there may be big waves to see if you're into that. Some nice shopping in Haleiwa as well. If you're on that side, I'd recommend eating at one of the shrimp trucks for some garlic shrimp, super good. Go to Giovanni's or Aloha Shrimp.

If you're spending the time in Honolulu, then a walk through Chinatown is always interesting, lots of "flavah" there. Some really good hipster places to eat as well. A tour of the Iolani Palace is always interesting, too.

In Waikiki, the beaches of course but I actually recommend the beach at Ala Moana park. Much less crowded with mostly locals and much easier to get to. If you'll be looking for bars to go to, my first recommendation is Bacchus, older, bearish crowd in general and pretty chill. Hulas of course, nicer bar but more cliquish for sure. In-Between which is a tiny neighborhood karaoke bar but really fun. Or Wang Chung's, small but trendy and sort of hard to find.

Other misc things I'd suggest...

Hike up Diamond head crater.

Sun on Diamond head beach below the lighthouse. Gay sunbathers go there (no longer nude though)

Hike up to the Makapu'u lighthouse (paved uphill walk about 1.5 miles each way)

The Pali Lookout (nice high cliff view looking into the windward side of the island)

Arizona/Mighty Mo if you haven't already.

Byodo-In temple (replica of the 950 year old temple in Uji, Japan)

That's all I can think of at the moment. I see you're already 3 days into your sail, have fun!