SEOhioCruiser

SEOhioCruiser

Are you parking at the port or are you looking for a park/sleep or a park sleep with transportation? What date are you sailing? What is your budget?

The closet NJ hotels that we recommend are 8-10 miles from Cape Liberty and some of them charge for parking. Would you consider Staten Island, NY?

The Newark - Jersey City area is highly urban. Secaucus, which is a bit further way, is less urban with more services like restaurants.

Do you know what route you are taking? We often recommend that folks coming from western PA or OH stay in nicer suburban areas like Parsipanny, Edison, Jamesburg, or Hightstown and drive about 45 minutes to the port the morning of the cruise. Newark is not a vacation destination - lots of hotels for transient travelers and very limited shopping and services including food.

Staying as close as possible to the port is not really where it's at when dealing with Cape Liberty.

Edited by 138east

We're sailing July 11th on Liberty of the Seas to Bermuda. We had booked at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & suites in Jersey City. Don't know how far away that is from the port or if there was something nice that was closer. We are driving and plan to park at the pier. In understand they have a shuttle service from the parking lot to the port, is that true? Any help is appreciated.

The Doubletree in Jersey City is one of the closest hotels to the port, but it's still about 8 miles away. What are you paying for it? How any people are you and how many rooms? Parking will be extra at this hotel - at least $18. However you will be close to the Hudson River and can at some point see Manhattan.

I will be staying nearby for three nights at the Courtyard in Sep and will be posting about the area after Sep 8 so you might want to check back.

I honestly don't know how Cape Liberty will work next June because they are building a new terminal and parking which should be ready by the time you sail. You're just going to have to check this board and the Quantum board for updates on the new terminal and parking.

There are 7 of us going: 2 adults in one room and 2 adults and 3 children in the other. Its $189.99 + taxes a night for the kids room and my husband/my room is $179.99 a night + taxes. I'll be at that port this November to sail a 3 nighter on Quantum. A friend and I will be staying at a different hotel closer to the transit system to NY because we are staying a few days prior to the cruise to sightsee.

There are 7 of us going: 2 adults in one room and 2 adults and 3 children in the other. Its $189.99 + taxes a night for the kids room and my husband/my room is $179.99 a night + taxes. I'll be at that port this November to sail a 3 nighter on Quantum. A friend and I will be staying at a different hotel closer to the transit system to NY because we are staying a few days prior to the cruise to sightsee.

The Doubletree is fine since you need a room for five people - 4+ rooms are hard to come by in the area. Price is reasonable. Parking will be extra. I am staying at the nearby Courtyard in Sep for the same reason - we have 4 adults and an infant, so we have a two room suite that sleeps 6 for $240 tax included.

Where exactly are you staying in Nov? You can't do much better than the Doubletree or the other hotels in this area - Courtyard, Candlewood Suites, Westin, Hyatt. The PATH trains will take you either to midtown at 33rd & 6th in 15 minutes or the World Trade Center downtown in 8 minutes for $2.50. You can hardly get closer to NYC without actually being in the city and you can take the light rail and cab to Cape Liberty for about $15 for 2 people.

In November we're staying at the Best Western Plus Robert Treat Hotel, located at 50 Park Pl, Newark. Thought we'd give it a try. I believe they have a free shuttle over to where we can catch the train system to NY. It's terrible when you don't know much about an area and there are so many places to stay.

In November we're staying at the Best Western Plus Robert Treat Hotel, located at 50 Park Pl, Newark. Thought we'd give it a try. I believe they have a free shuttle over to where we can catch the train system to NY. It's terrible when you don't know much about an area and there are so many places to stay.

OK - but the Robert Treat is in downtown Newark and it may be in a location where you don't feel comfortable outside after dark. If you can't connect with the shuttle coming back from NYC, you shouldn't hang around Newark Penn Station either - get in a cab and go back to the hotel.

Now you're scaring me a little bit 138east. I'm staying one night pre-cruise at the Hilton Newark Penn Station on Sept 5, 2014. Should I look at moving to the Doubletree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Star24K

The Newark Penn Station Hilton is right across the street from Newark Penn Station and is connected to the station via a sky bridge walkway. The Robert Treat is several blocks away. Both hotels are fine, but we don't recommend that folks wander around downtown Newark streets on foot after dark. The OP is a lady coming to the area to sightsee in NYC with a girlfriend before cruising on the Quantum. My advice is that they should be cautious and that involves not walking the local streets after dark or lingering around the train station waiting for a free shuttle back to the hotel.

I have stayed at the Hyatt Penn Station and it was nice. Mom and I didn't do any sightseeing at it was pouring down rain and we had also spent most of the day in airports. Since it is attached to don't go outside and their is security all around (or at least there was back then). I have not intentions of walking the streets at night. I know I'm NOT in SE Ohio anymore!!!

Just to add my two cents' worth to the excellent information already given by Carol (138east)...

I've never been inside the Robert Treat Hotel, but, for Newark, the surrounding area isn't too bad. The hotel is directly across the street from the New Jersey Performing Arts Center, a modern, upscale concert hall/ theater that is a major venue for classical, jazz, and pop music concerts, ballet, modern dance, musicals, performing arts and spoken word festivals, and other events. My wife & I frequently attend concerts and recitals there, using the light rail, which stops right at the Performing Arts Center. (The Newark light rail line runs between Newark Penn Station, a 3- or 4-minute ride from the Performing Arts Center, and Newark Broad Street Station.)

That said, given my druthers, I'm much prefer to stay at one of the Jersey City hotels near the Hudson River waterfront (i.e., from north to south: the Courtyard, Westin, Doubletree, Candlewood Suites, and Hyatt Regency). The area is safe and walkable, with terrific views of the Hudson River and the Manhattan skyline. All these hotels are extremely convenient for travel to Manhattan via the PATH train system, and also are reasonably conveniently located for driving to Bayonne/Cape Liberty. (And extremely well situated for anyone who wants to take public transportation to the cruise terminal, via the light rail system to Bayonne followed by a short cab ride to the terminal.)

Incidentally, for what it's worth, I see that reviews of the Robert Treat Hotel on TripAdvisor are somewhat mixed.

I have stayed at the Hilton Penn Station and it was nice. Mom and I didn't do any sightseeing at it was pouring down rain and we had also spent most of the day in airports. Since it is attached to don't go outside and their is security all around (or at least there was back then). I have not intentions of walking the streets at night. I know I'm NOT in SE Ohio anymore!!

Thanks for all the input!