Just back from cruising with a toddler

Caitlinsmama

Seems like a good idea for the suite. I opted to have my daughter sleep with me in the room because there was NO room for their crib. And we even had a balcony room!

Take lots of pictures....

Do activities even if you think the little one won't make it.. they may surprise you... I know mine did.. and if she didn't want to be there, we just left. I did a lot more then what I expected to.

Keep the shore excursions simple, but fun.. Water activities seemed the best to us.. Long bus rides or guided tours would not work. She loved seeing the animals and swimming.

Thank you for all the great ideas she will be a few weeks shy of 2 years old when we sail. She is a very good toddler so I think we will be fine. She is used to fine dining and eats from the regular menu when we go out.

Denise

My daughter is 21 months old. So too young for Camp Carnival. Things worked out just fine. There were a few hairy moments that we just went back to the cabin and turned on our DVD player. Other then those few select moments, she did great. She's very active and runs ALL the time, so I was a bit worried about her coming along... but I wouldn't have it any other way. We had so much fun and I hope all that continue on the Triumph do, too.

Don't feel bad about bringing your toddler to the shows and activities, that's my biggest suggestion for anyone traveling with a toddler. Most of the people cruising do not understand that you paid just as much for your toddler as they did for themselves, so they deserve the same seat as all the other guests. Caitlin did wonderful at most of the shows and activities, and if I would have stayed behind, I would have missed some really good fun!!!!!!

Hello,

We will be on the Valor with our 11 month old doing the W. Caribbean and was wondering if you brought your stoller with you to all your excursions. My wife and I are ready and excited for our daughter's first cruise.

Yes we took the umbrella stroller with us everywhere. I will say it was a major pain folding and unfolding it to get in buses/boats, etc. But, I'm glad we took it. She fell asleep MANY times and lugging around the stroller was much more pleasant then having to carry her around while she was sleeping.

So if you have an umbrella stroller, take it! Anything bigger I would not, too hard to close up and down and get through tight areas.. And make sure you get a good one so that it pushes easy.. we have 2 of them, a cheapy one that I will never take anywhere again and a good one from babies r us for 20 bucks.

Good luck :)

Hi, thanks for the tips. Just curious if you used the after 10:00 pm babysitting that Carnival offers for under 2. My son will be 22 months when we sail in one week, and while I mostly plan to go to bed when he does, I thought it might be nice for DH and I to have a night or two when we can party a little later.

Hi, thanks for the tips. Just curious if you used the after 10:00 pm babysitting that Carnival offers for under 2. My son will be 22 months when we sail in one week, and while I mostly plan to go to bed when he does, I thought it might be nice for DH and I to have a night or two when we can party a little later.

Hi

My daughter used the babysitting after 10 for her 18 month old. We

brought a light weight stroller, not an umbrella stroller, with adjustable

back on the seat. Twice she brought the baby to the babysitting

service. Each time the baby was sleeping in the stroller. The staff was

great. A regular stroller worked out better on the cruise because when

the baby was sleeping she could be "wheeled" in to the show or for walks

along the promenade.

• 2 months later...

I have a question about dining with your daughter. Ours sons will be 2 and 3&1/2 years old on our cruise in December. We are worried about the formal dining room. Did you try it and if so was it hard to get a toddler to sit there the entire time for the meal to be served?

Thanks!

I have a question about dining with your daughter. Ours sons will be 2 and 3&1/2 years old on our cruise in December. We are worried about the formal dining room. Did you try it and if so was it hard to get a toddler to sit there the entire time for the meal to be served?

Thanks!

I think only you can answer this question. How are your kids when you eat out at decent restaurants? Can they mostly sit still and not be disruptive for 1 1/2 hrs or more? A cruise ships' dining room is pretty much the same except the service is likely better onboard. We eat out all the time so when our kids cruised at that age, they were very accustomed to restaurant dining rooms.

As a backup, have the wait staff serve them first. Then have them eat, and if they get antsy early, you can take them kid's camp directly upstairs while the adults enjoy coffee and dessert. The key is to keep giving them something to do, and have a backup plan if things get out of control. Have a great cruise!

Our son will be 23 months old when we cruise on the Miracle in December. Carnival said they MIGHT let him in to do camp carnival stuff and make an exception but totally won't say yes or no really until they see how many other kids there are.

His cousin is 3 months older and will be in camp so I am hoping my son gets in too. if not tho, are there fun things for the kids to do without being signed up/approved for camp carnival? We'll have his DVD player but he is NOT a couch potato vidaholic baby and we like it that way :)

Colleen

I think only you can answer this question. How are your kids when you eat out at decent restaurants? Can they mostly sit still and not be disruptive for 1 1/2 hrs or more? A cruise ships' dining room is pretty much the same except the service is likely better onboard. We eat out all the time so when our kids cruised at that age, they were very accustomed to restaurant dining rooms.

As a backup, have the wait staff serve them first. Then have them eat, and if they get antsy early, you can take them kid's camp directly upstairs while the adults enjoy coffee and dessert. The key is to keep giving them something to do, and have a backup plan if things get out of control. Have a great cruise!

I want to add to this advice. Bring lots of stuff to keep them occupied and be prepared to take turns taking one of your child off for a little stroll in the dining room between courses. DS (2 1/2) has cruised twice so far -- once on Carnival at 16 months and once on Disney at 20 months. He loved the dining room experience with us. We always had crayons and misc. small toys with us, and whenever we sensed he was starting to get antsy, either DH or I would take him for a brief stroll to "people watch". He had no problem going through an entire 1 1/2 hour meal this way.

• 9 years later...

I'm have cruised with my son since he was 3 months old (Norwegian used to be 3 month min. age). The best age IMO for cruising is 3 and up. They are communicative, out of diapers and do tend to enjoy the youth program (unless they have never been left with a sitter before).

I think the key to traveling with little ones is to expect nothing. Don't expect them to like the youth program- then you won't be disappointed if they cling to you the whole time. My youngest loved the organized activities, my older son was clingy and wouldn't go. Just make the most of your time together as a family. Some of the best parts of cruising are watching your toddler explore the ship, dance in the atrium at happy hour when the adults are too shy to get out there and dance, and be entertained by the crew, who miss their own children terribly.

I think most parents bring their kids because they do want to spend time with them. So you do have to make it about them. My son did not like being in the youth program after 10 because they have a "slumber party"- where they lay down and watch a movie. I only left him there once (at age 4) and he was asleep when I picked him up- transferred him to a stroller- and he cried the whole way back to the cabin at midnight. Wasn't a good idea for my little one, but may work for your child.

Bottom line- just go with the flow- and definitely get the largest cabin you can afford- ideally with a balcony because you will be in it a lot with little ones for naps and earlier bedtimes than on adult only vacations.

378270_10151059972948632_373033710_n.jpg.3b18c6d487e8583ed468b1ffac784a7b.jpg

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Thanks for the advice! I'm just going to play it by ear he loves crowds and being around people. He will act shy for a minute or two and than is very social. We are doing Atlantis in Nassau and I'm thinking of doing a cabana in half moons Cay so he can rest up out of the sun.