Baltimore – LONG walk/climb to the ship

jondough

Just want to let everyone know that if you cruise out of Baltimore aboard either the Carnival Pride or the Grandeur of the Seas, be prepared for quite a hike from the terminal to the ship. The terminal building at Baltimore is a converted warehouse, and it is quite a hike from there to the ship. There is an open-air breezeway (which is being enclosed this spring) and a long, back-and-forth walk up the gangway to the ship. All of this is ADA compliant, but if you have any kind of mobility issues, you'll want to be sure to insist that they let you take the lower gangway to the ship rather than the long climb up the Passenger Boarding Bridge.

I can attest to this! I was taken aback by the very short walk from the port of Orlando to the Disney Dream. Little did I know that it is the Baltimore pier that is the outlier with its long walk. I've sailed out of Miami and LA as well but I don't recall the walks being as long as Baltimore or as short as Orlando.

Hubby and I were just talking about this the other day. He broke his hip in mid-January. We'll be cruising on Grandeur of the seas in one month. He's still using a cane and that walk is pretty long. Anyone ever have any trouble with them not letting you take the shorter route onto the ship? I'm curious because my Mom was in a wheelchair going on the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore and no one ever offered to let us get on the ship on a lower deck. One time a crew member even rolled her up. I would have thought they would have used the lower deck access if that's available.

Cindy

• 2 weeks later...

We cruise in a 12 days on the Pride. I asked Carnivals John Heald about boarding on a lower deck due to mobility issue with two of our party. He stated that was not possible but that they have wheel chairs and crew members that can assisit up the walk ways.