NOLA Flooding concerns?

melkteach

We are hearing a lot about the flooding. Would hate to think of this happening to New Orleans again. If New Orleans is your city, or you are familiar with NOLA, what are your thoughts on the possibility of flooding interfering with a cruise leaving May 29th?

Thank you so much for your help!

The spillways located up river were built and put there to prevent this.

Many many years ago Louisiana chosw levees and flood protectionj over roads from the goverment funding.

Is has worked pretty well .No one I know of is concerned.

HOWEVER, EXPERIENCE HAS SHOWN US ALWAYS BE READY TO RUN! (IE.Katrina )

The river will crest at New Orleans on May 23, but no one is expecting any local flooding. What you may notice is the ship really hauling a** down the river because of the currents, and getting to the Gulf a good bit sooner than usual. Ships travelling down-river are now restricted to daytime hours because they are going a lot faster than normal, so there will be a strong incentive to depart on time.

I am not worried about the flood risk in the city but on the drive to New Orleans east on I-10 coming out of Houston. Any opinions on this?

Thanks!

You won't have a problem coming from Houston if you stay on the I-10. After you hit Lafayette your going to go over the Atchafalaya Basin. It's all swamp land and the reason that they directed the water from the spillway into that area. It is going to be high water there because of the water coming in but the I-10 there is elevated and I dont see the water coming close to reaching the elevated portion. I've driven it many times

My concern is going to New Orleans from Abbeville on Hwy 90. I was wondering if any of those ares such as Patterson, Berwick etc... would be a problem ? Can anyone help with this ? I am leaving to go to New Orleans this friday for a sunday cruise. Thanks for your help.

Archived