Train from Warnemunde to Schwerin

Anyone certain of the names/stops for the train from Warnemunde to Schwerin? ? I went online to book some tickets and there is a number of stops marked Warnemunde. I am thinking it is Warnemunde Strand Rostock and then Schwerin hbf.

We will be arriving on July 16 on the Oceania Regatta. I blundered by posting this question on the Roll Call page.

It sounds pretty straight forward to buy the tickets at the train station, but want to make sure I purchase the right ones, figuring the boat arrives at 06:00 and departs at 22:00, whatever time of day is easiest should be fine. Thanks

Anyone certain of the names/stops for the train from Warnemunde to Schwerin? ? I went online to book some tickets and there is a number of stops marked Warnemunde. I am thinking it is Warnemunde Strand Rostock and then Schwerin hbf.

2010RostockWarnemuendeBf10-vi.jpg

The station in Warnemünde just calls Warnemünde and you just need to confirm without changes.

The best station to get off in Schwerin in walking distance to city center and palace:

2009Schwerin03-vi.jpg

Schwerin Hbf (= Hauptbahnhof = Central Station) is good if you are willing to pay a higher price to use the IC InterCity Long-Distance-Trains.

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/schwerin-germany-walking-and-public.html

We will be arriving on July 16 on the Oceania Regatta. I blundered by posting this question on the Roll Call page. It sounds pretty straight forward to buy the tickets at the train station, but want to make sure I purchase the right ones, figuring the boat arrives at 06:00 and departs at 22:00, whatever time of day is easiest should be fine. Thanks

ScheduleHamburg20101-vi.jpg

Best would be to take 08.22 hrs connection and to buy

single tickets for 1.70 EUR to get to Rostock (to cover the time until 09.00 hrs):

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/warnemunde-germany-rostock-buying.html

and then to buy for the time after 09.00 hrs until you are back in Warnemünde a day-pass called Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern:

18.00 EUR for singles in 2nd class / 28.00 EUR in 1st class

26.00 EUR for group of 5 in 2nd class / 48.00 EUR in 1st class

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/warnemunde-germany-all-destinations.html

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2010/04/warnemunde-kiel-lubeck-hamburg-germany.html

see also here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1027215

Regards

HeinBloed

We did a similar trip on May 10. We have to thank HeinBloed for suggesting in his other post the purchase of online tickets. Just follow the steps he mentioned and you can have your tickets printed in your home. The cost of the ticket for 2 to 5 persons is 26 Euro on the Regional Express and the amount will be charged to your credit card. The inspector will check the printed tickets with your credit card on the train. It's as easy as that!

We took the train leaving Warnemunde at 10.22am. Changed train in Rostock and headed for Schwerin Mitte. Then disaster struck. According to the train time-table, the train would arrive Schwerin Hbf 12.03 and Schwerin Mitte 12.14. This gave us the impression that the two stations were quite far apart. It's actually about 2 or 3 minutes apart. The time 12.03 was the arrival time, not departure time from Hbf. We were not prepared for the quick arrival of Mitte and had to rush to the door. The train stopped at Mitte for only a few seconds (just like the metro). The door did not open - we were expecting the door to open automatically like on the metro or we did not press the green button in time. Anyway, we proceeded for another 15 minutes and got down in a deserted station with not a soul in sight. We waited in the cold for just over an hour to catch the train going back to Mitte.

However, this did not dampen our spirits and we traced the track which HeinBloed mentioned in his earlier post. Walked through the car park and entered the shopping center and out into the street. We walked towards the castle and gardens and enjoyed the beautiful sights. We found the restaurant recommended by HeinBloed - Kartoffelhas (Potato House). We had two pork dishes, the better one being No. 29 on the menu "Mecklenburger Nackenbraten vom Schwein mit Apfeln und Backflaumen gefullt, Rotkohl und Kartoffelpuree". HeinBloed, would appreciate your translating this into English.

All in all, our visit to Schwerin was very good despite the hiccup. We would like to thank HeinBloed for his directions on the CruiseCritic and to wish him well.

We had two pork dishes, the better one being No. 29 on the menu "Mecklenburger Nackenbraten vom Schwein mit Apfeln und Backflaumen gefullt, Rotkohl und Kartoffelpuree". HeinBloed, would appreciate your translating this into English.

Slow pork neck roast Mecklenburg style filled with apples and baked prunes, red cabbage and mashed potatoes...

Filling with apples and baked prunes is very East German (also in former parts of Germany) style...

Regards

HeinBloed

Not sure what I did wrong, went to website and entered date and trip information but the price is not 26 Euro, but 68 Euro.

I tried to put in a screen shot of what it looks like.

It does look like the train leaves Warnemunde, then we transfer at Rostock.

Thanks

Presentation1.pdf

Not sure what I did wrong, went to website and entered date and trip information but the price is not 26 Euro, but 68 Euro.

I tried to put in a screen shot of what it looks like.

It does look like the train leaves Warnemunde, then we transfer at Rostock.

Thanks

There is a trick:

1. You have to choose an itinerary after 09.00 hrs.

So buy this itinerary for 10.00 hrs instead of 08.00 hrs.

It does not matter.

The 26.00 EUR is valid after 09.00 hrs on a weekday.

2. To cover the time before 09.00 hrs you buy a 1.70 EUR single ticket to Rostock from Warnemünde:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/warnemunde-germany-rostock-buying.html

Now you see:

With this trick to split the tickets you go on same trains but only pay

3.40 EUR purchase at the machine in Rostock...

26.00 EUR

----------

29.40 EUR

instead of 68.20 EUR regular price.

Savings: your lunch in Schwerin...

Regards

HeinBloed

• 9 months later...

Thank you HeinBloed. I see that the time between trains is only 9 minutes. Is this enough time to change trains? Also you gave me the times for going to Schwerin and they are different than the schedule for 2010. Could you also give me the timetable for returning from Schwerin to Warnemunde?

Thank you again for your quick response.

Jean

Thank you HeinBloed. I see that the time between trains is only 9 minutes. Is this enough time to change trains? Also you gave me the times for going to Schwerin and they are different than the schedule for 2010. Could you also give me the timetable for returning from Schwerin to Warnemunde?

Thank you again for your quick response.

Jean

You may extend the transfer time by using an earlier commuter train. See the Warnemünde - Rostock schedule.

It's better to be earlier in Rostock as the Schwerin-bound train starts from there and the earlier you are there the better seats you can choose.

Just tell me on which date you are in town and which time you want to be back at your ship.

Regards

HeinBloed

You may extend the transfer time by using an earlier commuter train. See the Warnemünde - Rostock schedule.

It's better to be earlier in Rostock as the Schwerin-bound train starts from there and the earlier you are there the better seats you can choose.

Just tell me on which date you are in town and which time you want to be back at your ship.

Regards

HeinBloed

Hi: We are arriving 6/23/11 on NCL Sun arriving at 7:30 am What is the chance of catching the train to Rostock @ 8:10am to connect with the train to Schwerin at 9:05am? The next RE train is 11:07 which is late for a visit to Schwerin. We will need to secure tickets at both stations.

Dave

Hi: We are arriving 6/23/11 on NCL Sun arriving at 7:30 am What is the chance of catching the train to Rostock @ 8:10am to connect with the train to Schwerin at 9:05am? The next RE train is 11:07 which is late for a visit to Schwerin. We will need to secure tickets at both stations.

Dave

NORWEGIAN SUN normally arrives from Copenhagen, i. e. intra-schengen and intra-EU... no customs and no immigration... you just walk off the ship and you are in 5 minutes at the train station.

You can buy for the rest of the day (incl. return if you use RE) a day-pass online (Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern) and just need to buy for the samll section from Warnemünde to Rostock at the ticket machine and punch at the orange box.

Another option is to buy the Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern in Warnemünde. It does not matter because it starts to become valid anyway at 09.00 hrs.

I am quite optimistic that you can make it.

Regards

HeinBloed

We are in town on the Emerald Princess on Thursday July 21, 2011. We would like to be back to the ship around 6 pm.

Thanks, Jean

You can return from Schwerin either 15.53 hrs or 16.53 hrs. You arrive about one hour later in Rostock.

From here the commuter train to Warnemünde leaves every 10-15 minutes.

So if you want to use the daily pass you can use on of this train.

Depends you like to arrive more 17.30 hrs or 18.30 hrs at the ship.

Regards

HeinBloed

NORWEGIAN SUN normally arrives from Copenhagen, i. e. intra-schengen and intra-EU... no customs and no immigration... you just walk off the ship and you are in 5 minutes at the train station.

You can buy for the rest of the day (incl. return if you use RE) a day-pass online (Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern) and just need to buy for the samll section from Warnemünde to Rostock at the ticket machine and punch at the orange box.

Another option is to buy the Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern in Warnemünde. It does not matter because it starts to become valid anyway at 09.00 hrs.

I am quite optimistic that you can make it.

Regards

HeinBloed

Thanks: I thought we had to purchase the Landerticket in Rostock. This will make it easier to catch the train to Schwerin. The platform changes to 6 for that train. We are getting off inScherwin HBF and walking to the Cathedral and Castle. Will hit the market on the way back to the train

Dave

Dave

Thanks: I thought we had to purchase the Landerticket in Rostock. This will make it easier to catch the train to Schwerin. The platform changes to 6 for that train. We are getting off inScherwin HBF and walking to the Cathedral and Castle. Will hit the market on the way back to the train

Dave

Dave

It's really no need to queue up twice.

Once you occupied in Warnemünde the ticket machine to buy the tickets to Rostock you just buy the Länderticket.

Or you buy online to save time.

Regards

HeinBloed

Thank you HeinBloed. We can now plan our trip to Schwerin. We will leave Warnemunde early enough to catch the 9:07 train in Rostock to Schwerin. We can take either the 15:53 or 16:53 depending on how our time in Schwerin works out. Your instructions on tickets is a good help also.

Jean

Just another thanks to Heinbloed - we are arriving Emerald Princess on 27 June and I think this answered, very well, all the questions we have about a trip to Schwerin!

(I am hoping we will be able to find non-pork meals to eat though :) - Luckily I do have enough understanding of German to be able to translate most of a menu!)

Just another thanks to Heinbloed - we are arriving Emerald Princess on 27 June and I think this answered, very well, all the questions we have about a trip to Schwerin!

(I am hoping we will be able to find non-pork meals to eat though :) - Luckily I do have enough understanding of German to be able to translate most of a menu!)

Have a good trip.

Just check the section

Geflügel for poultry

and

Rind for beef

(I am sure that you will identify "Fisch" yourself...).

But pay attention with the beef.

There is one of the favorite beef-dish in Germany which contains some pork:

Rinderrouladen

(Rolled slice of beef inside filled with bacon, cucumber, onions).

This might be listed under "Rind" but contains pork as well.

Regards

HeinBloed

Thank you for the warning about Rinderrouladen! Will be sure to check that whatever we order is what we think it is :)

I was last in Germany long ago, mainly on the western side (all along the Rhine & also in the Black Forest) as well as 5 (wonderful) days in Berlin, I am looking very much forward to visiting another part of it, even if only for a day.

• 1 year later...

HeinBloed,

We are planning on being in Warnemunde at the end of June. We are a family with three young children 5,9, and 12. Do you recommend stopping at Rostock and tour the city or go straight to Schwerin? Also, do you have a link where I can buy the train ticket online?

Thanks

Let's start with the simple answer:

you can buy online - 92 days ahead.

BUT you can but it last-minute at the ticket machine.

Your day pass for mini-group cover all of you:

26 EUR for 2 persons - ALL OWN children upto 15 years are free.

I would go first to Schwerin.

I always go to the farest destination first and would do Rostock on the way back.

So if you are under pressure you only need to pay for a taxi for the short distance - not for the long distance.

It's safer.

There is no advantage to buy online in advance as you have no assigned trains.

And few occassions ships do not call Warnemünde due to strong winds. So you have no loss.

Regards

HeinBloed

• 4 weeks later...

Heinbloed,

We will be arriving at Warnemünde on July 9 on the Emerald Princess and taking the train to Berlin.

We are planning on taking the ICE back from Berlin departing at 17:26 and arriving at Warnemünde at 20:10.

I have 2 questions:

1. It looks like that ICE train goes to the Warnemünde station after stopping at Rostock. Does that mean we don't have to transfer to the s-bahn from Rostock to Warnemünde?

2. Our ship leaves at 21:00. How safe and reliable is the ICE train to arrive in Warnemünde at 20:10?

Thanks for all your help.

Joey

Heinbloed,

We will be arriving at Warnemünde on July 9 on the Emerald Princess and taking the train to Berlin.

We are planning on taking the ICE back from Berlin departing at 17:26 and arriving at Warnemünde at 20:10.

I have 2 questions:

1. It looks like that ICE train goes to the Warnemünde station after stopping at Rostock. Does that mean we don't have to transfer to the s-bahn from Rostock to Warnemünde?

2. Our ship leaves at 21:00. How safe and reliable is the ICE train to arrive in Warnemünde at 20:10?

Thanks for all your help.

Joey

Good Morning,

yes -

1. The 17.26 hrs service goes directly from Berlin to Warnemünde. Rostock Central Station is the station ahead of Warnemünde and you must not transfer to the S-Bahn Commuter Train.

2. I would NOT do it! 21.00 hrs set sail means 20.30 hrs all onboard. Walk is only 6-7 minutes from the train station to the cruise terminal.

BUT

ICE 1508 is coming from Munich which means it's a long-distance train... if there is anything on the way they will give up the "last portion" which means once it's delayed points beyond Berlin are no major transfer points anymore and they will not speed up anything there to be scheduled in Warnemünde.

Currently there are rail construction works on the direct line between Berlin and Rostock so most trains are going detours which means there might be congestion on the alternative routes.

BUT

if you are only paying 19.00 EUR for a high-discounted super saver ticket...

AND

you have plan B... i. e. a small overnight bag... and flying from Berlin to Tallinn when you find out that the train is late... (It's quite cheap to fly)...

AND

you are adventurous to see more of Berlin or Tallinn... or Riga as this would be the transfer point...

I would do it... (Well - I am crazy enough to leave the ship in Bangkok to see Angkor Wat and to rejoin in Sihanoukville, or to leave Civitavecchia and rejoin the ship in Livorno to stay overnight in Florence, or to leave the ship in Bergen to rejoin in Aalesund to make Fjord-cruise with the Norwegian Coastal Ship or to leave the ship in Reykjavik and rejoin in Greenock (Glasgow) to extend my stays in Iceland and Scotland... - so you ask the wrong person to get a "safe" solution...).

WELL

what you can do to calculate the risk:

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/overseas/en/index.shtml

Left: Punctuality and Connecting trains

Folder: Departures/Arrival

Enter Berlin Hbf and you must check this around 11.00 hrs EDT/08.00 hrs PDT (in the morning!!!) and check for the arrival of ICE 1508 from Munich (München Hbf - best copy and paste).

If you see over a certain time that this train was mostly scheduled you might risk it.

But if you see that this train arrived mostly late: I would keep my hands off.

Have a great time in Berlin.

Regards

HeinBloed

Archived