Occidental grand issues?

TheBubbs

booked day pass a while back after reading great reviews. Today however I was shocked at reviews from the last several days. Removed beach bar, ran out of alcohol every day, etc

Anyone else hear anything or been there recently?

booked day pass a while back after reading great reviews. Today however I was shocked at reviews from the last several days. Removed beach bar, ran out of alcohol every day, etc

Anyone else hear anything or been there recently?

I've been checking around about this. I'm sure that the reviews that you have been reading are on tripadvisor. They are definitely disturbing, and I don't blame you for being concerned. However, since you are just going there for the day, and not staying there, I think that you will still have a good time.

I read a post on another board just this morning, from someone that is currently staying there. She said that they just banned bubba mugs, which are those huge mugs that hold a lot. Apparently, people were filling those up with booze, which might have something to do with Barcelo running out. She did complain about the warm beer, and not enough food choices, but since you will probably just be eating one meal, you should be fine.

If you haven't paid yet, and you still have concerns, perhaps you should cancel and just go to the beach in that area of Palm Beach. You could rent chairs, umbrellas, and get food and drinks at one of the many bars and restaurants right along the beach. All you would be giving up is a pool.

Frankly, I've never liked Occidental. We toured there years ago when we were considering buying a timeshare. There were lots of complaints when they owned it. It is hopeful that Barcelo will improve the property and the issues that Occidental had, but I think that they are having growing pains right now.

Whether you decide to go to Barcelo, or just go to the beach on your own, you'll have a great time.

Please report back and let us know what you did, and your thoughts on your day.

By the way, I vacation in Aruba 2 - 3 weeks a year, so I'm very familiar with this area.

Edited by Hatteras51

Thank you for all the information! I'm leaning toward going to the beach. The day pass is 154 that I pay at the hotel so I'm only out the 15$ for the deposit.

Is there any resturant or bar food you would recommend for lunch?

Thank you for all the information! I'm leaning toward going to the beach. The day pass is 154 that I pay at the hotel so I'm only out the 15$ for the deposit.

Is there any resturant or bar food you would recommend for lunch?

Your plan sounds good. Bugaloe, which is on one of the piers, is good, and has an awesome atmosphere, Pelican Pier is another good one, Scott's Brats, which is in front of Playa Linda Hotel is good, also Moomba, near Holiday Inn is good.

I stayed there for 7 nights a few years ago and the reviews were horrible then too. I enjoyed my visit. The beach and pool were great and the food okay. Never given warm beer and no trouble getting drinks. I saw a lot of happy fun people there and the location is perfect so close to all Palm beach places. There are hundreds of people that stay there everyday but yet just a few reviews. Take them with grain of salt.

I have been doing lots of research on various options on Aruba.....we stop there in July. My biggest concern with this property was that I read how the beach chairs are reserved by hotel guests as early as 6:00AM and nothing is available for day visitors. That was why I dropped them from consideration.

Also, have chosen to not visit the de Palm "water park" due to poor food, water park being for much younger kids than ours, etc.

We are most likely going to rent a car and visit various beaches on the island at our leisure. That is what my wife and I did years ago before kids. There will be 5 of us this time. This is the last of our 4 stops to get finalized as to what to do on the island. St.Kitts, Saint Thomas and Curacao have been decided upon.