Cruising out of Texas!!

mskillern

We are really excited about sailing on the Freedom out of Galveston in November.

Here's my question: How much will we have to pay (taxes or whatever) for our alcohol when we get back to Galveston? I'm hearing we will pay taxes or fees and am curious about how much.

Thanks so much for your help!!

You should know that Texas only allows you to bring in ONE LITER PER PERSON. Technically, you are only allowed to bring back one liter per person and then pay taxes on it.

What I have done - 3 times - is fill a suitcase with stuff, and then declare it ALL on the customs decleration form.....like "10 liters tequila." Customs always takes the form and sends me on my way.

I've never seen it enforced. (Like bringing guests to the past guest party.....wait, is it to soon? Easy...I was just kidding)

Check here: http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/home/press_releases/2013/20131220.asp

In particular: "Section 107.07 of the Alcoholic Beverage Code, in effect for over 40 years, requires that each adult (21 years old and over) importing alcoholic beverages into the state for personal consumption pay the state tax and an administrative fee of $3.00. The law limits personal importation by an adult to once every 30 days with limits of: 1 gallon of distilled spirits, 3 gallons of wine, and 288 ounces of malt beverages (24 12-ounce containers). Persons importing alcoholic beverages must personally accompany the product as it enters the state. View our detailed list of the taxes for both cigarettes and alcoholic beverages."

Edited by KFinTx

Thanks Cheif93!!

I was wondering how it works in Texas. We declare our purchases on the form and have not had to pay when we go through customs.

I have heard that Texas has more fees.

Thanks so much!

You should know that Texas only allows you to bring in ONE LITER PER PERSON. Technically, you are only allowed to bring back one liter per person and then pay taxes on it.

What I have done - 3 times - is fill a suitcase with stuff, and then declare it ALL on the customs decleration form.....like "10 liters tequila." Customs always takes the form and sends me on my way.

I've never seen it enforced. (Like bringing guests to the past guest party.....wait, is it to soon? Easy...I was just kidding)

Looks like it has been a few years since you sailed out of Galveston, Chief93.

KFInTX posted a link that I more in line with current regulations. Things changed in January of 2014.

ImageUploadedByForums1431923235.502854.jpg.a5f88e46d4dfea9754d6d2aa53ab6476.jpg Not sure how well you can read that. It's $3.50 for a liter. Technically, that includes a $3 processing fee. I just came back yesterday. You first go through customs and then had to stop at a second place if you wanted to claim alcohol. Many people I know who purchased alcohol walked right past the second stop. Not criticizing or condoning that, just that I'm sure at least half the people never claimed their alcohol with Texas. Edited by mumtopugs