Jamaica as Cruise Destination

Lovefuninthesun

In Ocho Rios we just bought a $10 bus roundtrip transfer at the terminal area last Tuesday to and from Dunns River Falls and they had the rep from the falls come out and get our money for the Falls ticket on the bus. Our videographer was great. Already watched our dvd, very nicely done for so quick. No problems walking thru the shopping area. Yes they tried to sell stuff and give stuff away but just said no thanks and they left us alone till we passed the next shop lol. Waited in the covered bus stop till all our group was there at the return time. Stopped at Margaritaville area on the way to ship which was super (walking distance) close to pier, got a couple local made items near there for the kids...less hectic than the craft area by the Falls. Glad we got to see Jamaica one more time. Falls are pretty amazing even when packed.

I've been to Jamaica numerous times on both land and cruise vacations. There's a BIG difference. On our land vacations we never had a problem shopping in the markets, on the beach, wandering around town. When we get off a ship is where the local vendors are relentless. We know to get as far away from the port as possible when we dock. This improves the experience exponentially!!

The local vendors KNOW you are getting off the ship, with only a few hours on land, to spend money, buy some items, see the island. They know where the money is and that's why people who have only cruised there think it's "dangerous" or "rough". If you spend any time on the island away from the cruise crowds you'll see that it's beautiful and the people are lovely. The food is divine and the markets are fun.

I have been to Jamaica many times, either by cruise ship or land-based vacation at an all-inclusive resort. Booked excursions via the cruise ship & never had any problems. The vendors at Dunns River Falls were very pushy as I remember it. I just said no & everything was ok.

On my land-based vacations, once at the AI resort, I just stayed there since I had seen the island during my cruises there. Of course, there was this guy in a boat near the beach wanting to sell you pot, but he never got that close to the resort property.

We will be in Jamaica in August via the Caribbean Princess, will report back when we return how it was.